Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF
Compatibility and Our Test Systems
Compatibility Testing: Before we sat down in front of our test machine to evaluate Corsair's TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF memory modules, we installed them into some of the systems we had available at the time to see if there were any compatibility problems to speak of. We tried the sticks in a total of 5 different systems, powered by various popular chipsets, and encountered only one problem. We tested these modules on the following platforms...
|Asus||CrossHair||nForce 590 SLI|
|Asus||P5N32-SLI SE||nForce 4 SLIX16|
|Asus||P5B Deluxe||Intel P965|
|Intel||D975XBX||Intel 975X Express|
With the exception of the Asus P5B Deluxe, which we used for the benchmarks in this article, to quickly test these modules all we did was install them, power up the systems, made sure Windows XP booted and we ran SiSoft SANDRA's burn-in wizard for a few minutes. The only board that had an issue was the Abit AB9. This board defaults to a 1.8v memory voltage, and wouldn't POST reliably when we first installed the Dominators. But by popping in an OCZ memory kit, raising the memory voltage in the BIOS, and then re-installing the Dominators, we were able to use them on the AB9. This limited compatibility testing wasn't extensive, but it does bode well for the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF memory modules. The fact that they worked properly on the popular platforms listed here, means most consumers shouldn't have any major issues with them either.
Core 2 Extreme X6800
Asus P5B Deluxe
OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum 2GB
GeForce 7900 GTX
On-Board 10/100/1000 Ethernet
WD "Raptor" 74GB Hard Drive
10,000 RPM SATA
Windows XP Pro SP2
How we configured our test systems: When configuring our test system for this review, the first thing we did was enter the system BIOS and set the motherboard to its "High-Performance Defaults". The hard drive was then formatted, and Windows XP Professional (SP2) was installed. When the installation was complete, we installed all of the necessary drivers for our components, and removed Windows Messenger from the system. Auto-Updating and System Restore were also disabled, and we setup a 768MB permanent page file on the same partition as the Windows installation. Lastly, we set Windows XP's Visual Effects to "best performance", installed all of our benchmarking software, defragged the hard drives and ran all of the tests. Throughout all our benchmarking, we had the memory voltage set to 2.4v, unless otherwise noted.