Developer Bungie and publisher Activision is giving PlayStation 4 gamers who pre-ordered Destiny 2 first dibs on the early access beta that is rolling out today (perhaps already, by the time you read this). PS4 players will be able to hop into the beta starting at 10 AM Pacific (1 PM Eastern) and will have access to the main Homecoming campaign. PlayStation Plus members will also be able to play Strike: The Inverted Spire and Crucible: Countdown and Control game types.
If you are an Xbox One console owner who pre-ordered Destiny 2, you will have to wait for your chance to join the early access beta, though not for long—the beta opens up tomorrow, July 19, at the same time. Like PS4 players, Xbox One gamers will have access to the main storyline, while Xbox Live Gold players can play additional modes.
In the D2 Beta, the Homecoming story mission will be open to all. The Strike and Crucible will require PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold. pic.twitter.com/rmQDC1OjfM— Bungie (@Bungie) July 18, 2017
Before you hop into the beta, there is some housekeeping that needs to be down. To begin with, you need to register an account with Bungie.net using your PS4 or Xbox One credentials, if you have not already done soe. For those of you who pre-ordered online through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store, or Blizzard Shop then you are already registered for the beta. However, if you pre-ordered Destiny 2 through a physical retailer such as GameStop, you will receive a redemption code that you need to enter to join beta.
Here are some other related notes, direct from Bungie:
- If players experience issues retrieving a Destiny 2 Early Access code upon pre-order, they must contact their retailer for further assistance.
- Code redemption and acquisition does not display properly on some mobile devices. Please visit Bungie.net on a web browser if you are unable to view these pages.
- If you live in Australia or New Zealand and are retrieving a PS4 code, please select Europe as your region.
- Players will only be granted one Destiny Beta Download Code per Pre-order. Bungie will not replace codes if they are lost or redeemed for the incorrect platform.
- The Destiny 2 Beta will become available for public access through the PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace starting July 21, 2017.
Destiny 2 is one of the most hyped games of the year. Bungie released a launch trailer earlier this year that is a must-watch. It's equal parts drama and comedy. The story centers around the destruction of The Last City by the invading Cabal empire and the call to arms for revenge. Titan Vanguard Zavala riles up his troops with an inspiring speech, while Hunter Vanguar Cayde-6, well, takes a different approach.
There will be multiple editions of Destiny 2, including a standard edition, an upgraded version with a season pass for future expansions, a digital deluxe edition with a season pass and bonus in-game content, and both limited and special editions for collectors. These will range in price from $60 to $250.