Motorola Droid X Gets Froyo Update
The Samsung Captivate isn't the only phone that's getting an update. The highly anticipated Froyo (Android 2.2) update is now making its way on to Motorola Droid X smartphones. The latest update provides all of the features you've come to expect with Android 2.2 including Flash support, Bluetooth voice dialing, better screen rotation, and an updated 3G mobile hotspot application. You'll also get a handful of bug fixes and other small improvements that are said to improve the handset's performance.
The update will be delivered over the air and should arrive on your handset in the next few days. Once your phone has received the update, you'll see a notification that lets you know it's available. If you're too impatient to wait, you can manually force an update by pressing Menu and opening the Settings menu. From here, select About phone and then choose System Updates.
For users who installed the leaked Android 2.2 ROM, you'll need to roll the handset back to the stock Android 2.1 (Éclair) release in order to receive the official update.
Here's a look at the full list of improvements:
- Improved Web browsing with pre-installed Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 for Android.™
- Easily switch between the eight most recent applications.
- A screen that works for you and your apps.
- With Android 2.2, you can rotate your screen 270 degrees—either to the left or to the right when moving from portrait to landscape mode—to work with apps in more directions.
- Automatic app updates.
- Always have the latest versions of the applications you’ve downloaded with automatically updated Android Market™ apps. And you can choose to store applications in your device’s memory or on a storage card for more capacity.
- Take advantage of the preloaded VZ Navigator® application.
- Get visual and audible directions to a destination, locate businesses and other places in an area, get a map of a location, bookmark favorites and recent searches, and even share locations with others.
- Overall improvements for Google Maps performance on the Droid X.
- Improved connectivity to Exchange server and Exchange ActiveSync® email notifications.
- Easily edit MMS messages after attaching video files.
- Manage message history from Contact application.
- Transition from Wi-Fi and 3G without losing data connection.
- Improved 3G Mobile Hotspot application.
- Visual Voice Mail updates include simplified setup, improved notifications, and updated display features.
- Easily listen to voice mail via Bluetooth® when using the Visual Voice Mail application.
- Manage contacts with updated Backup Assistant.