Xbox One Outsells PlayStation 4 In December, PS4 Still Leads Overall
Sony has reason to boast, as well. Even though NPD Group didn't provide specific sales figures, the tracking firm did say that "PS4's two-month total makes it the best selling console during the two-month launch window," meaning there are still more PS4 consoles in the wild than there are Xbox One systems. And as far as global sales go, Sony announced earlier this month that cumulative sales of the PS4 through December 28, 2013 reached 4.2 million units, trumping the Xbox One's 3 million unit shipments.
And what of Nintendo? NPD Group says the Wii U saw "its highest month for unit sales so far" in December 2013, while also noting that the 3DS led all hardware in terms of units sold, even coming ahead of the PS4.
Everyone involved in the games industry is a winner, it seems. NPD Group says total hardware sales came to $1.37 billion, up 28 percent from $1.07 billion a year prior. In addition, December was the fifth month in a row that physical game sales across hardware, software, and accessories saw positive growth.
As for the best selling games of 2013:
- Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, PC, NWU)
- Madden NFL 25 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO)
- Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, NWU, PC)
- NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, NWU, PC)
- Just Dance 2014 (WII, 360, NWU, XBO, PS3, PS4)
- Minecraft (360)
- Disney Infinity (360, WII, PS3, NWU, 3DS)
What games are you playing these days?