Verizon Picks Up HTC DROID Incredible Smartphone: Android 2.1, AMOLED, GPS
The DROID Incredible really is one of the more incredible phones we've seen lately, and aside from the obvious lack of 4G support, it's nearly as good as Sprint's EVO 4G that was announced earlier in the year. Because it's made by HTC, the company also has slid their "Sense" overlay in here, making it easier to access certain apps from within Android by placing shortcuts on the home screen. It's a touch panel-based phone, with a 3.7" WVGA AMOLED display (800x480; capacitive touch), 8MP camera (dual LED flash), optical joystick, integrated GPS, a light sensor, digital compass, Friend Stream (for social networking integration) and a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.
There's even Wi-Fi, 3G and a 3.5mm headphone jack, and the $199.99 (after rebate) price point puts it in direct competition with the iPhone 3GS, EVO 4G and a slew of other phones at the high-end. If you're interested, Verizon will begin online pre-sales on the 19th, with store availability planned for April 29th. Best Buy will also begin pre-sales on April 18th.
Verizon Wireless today announced DROID Incredible by HTC, the newest Android device on the nation’s most reliable wireless 3G network, will be available beginning April 29.
Featuring a “topographic” design that demonstrates the powerful engineering just beneath the surface, DROID Incredible by HTC is designed with craftsmanship and precision while making it easier than ever to stay connected.
DROID Incredible by HTC features the newest version of the HTC Sense experience, a seven-panel home screen with a wide selection of interactive widgets so the most important content is immediately available at a touch. Customers will enjoy seamless integration with Exchange ActiveSync®, quick and easy access to Flickr for sharing and viewing pictures, video, and Android Market™ with more than 30,000 Google applications. DROID Incredible by HTC is the first Verizon Wireless phone that takes advantage of Qualcomm’s 1GHz superfast Snapdragon processor, and it’s the first available phone from Verizon Wireless to include an 8 megapixel camera.
Shortly after the phone becomes available, customers will be able to enjoy two of the latest exclusive apps from Verizon Wireless – NFL Mobile and Skype mobile™.
Additional Key features:
- Android 2.1 with HTC Sense experience
- 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ processor for maximum responsiveness
- Friend Stream for unified Flickr, Facebook and Twitter updates
- “Leap” view for quick access to all seven home screen panels
- 8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash for crisp, detailed images
- Razor-sharp 3.7 inch WVGA (480x800) AMOLED capacitive touch display
- Optical joystick for smooth navigation
- Dedicated, touch-sensitive Home, Menu, Back and Search keys
- Proximity sensor, light sensor and digital compass
- Integrated GPS
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- 3.5 mm headset jack
Price and availability:
- DROID Incredible will be available for pre-order online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning on April 19 and it will be in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores on April 29. Pricing will be $199.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
- DROID Incredible customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Email and Web for Smartphone plans start at $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.