It is customary to reflect on the past, even if just for a brief moment, when a new year rolls around. So it goes with Valve, which has compiled a series of lists highlighting the best selling games of 2017 on Steam. They include the top selling games in terms of revenue, top selling new releases, best selling VR titles, top Early Access graduates, and the top played games, the latter of which is measured by the highest peak of simultaneous players.
Unfortunately Valve did not go into granular detail, so instead of ranking the best selling games from top to bottom with a gross revenue figure attached, it broke them down into award categories—Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. There doesn't seem to be any particular order, but in case you're wondering, here are the Platinum winners, along with current sale pricing.
- Warframe: Plains of Eidolon—Free to play
- Divinity Original Sin II—$40.49 (down 10% from $44.99)
- Grand Theft Auto V—$23.99 (down 60% from $59.99)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege—$8.99 (down 40% from $14.99)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands—$49.99 (down 50% from $59.99)
- Ark Survival Evolved—$23.99 (down 60% from $59.99)
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive—$10.04 (down 33% from $14.99)
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds—$29.99
- H1Z1—$4.99 (down 75% from $19.99)
- Rocket League—$11.99 (down 40% from $19.99)
- DOTA 2—Free to play
- The Witcher III: Wild Hunt—$19.99 (down 50% from $39.99)
It should come as no surprise that PUBG was among Steam's Most Played games of 2017. Valve clumped a handful of titles together at the top, each one surpassing 100,000 concurrent users. However, PUBG's entry is notable because it has been breaking concurrent player records left and right, most recently topping 3 million players vying for survival simultaneously.
What about VR? Valve gave VR its own category, underscoring what's still a niche but growing sector in gaming.
"We have seen over 1,000 new VR titles come out this year, including blockbusters such as Fallout 4 VR, SUPERHOT VR, and Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality, as well as continued popularity of last year’s releases like Arizona Sunshine, RAW DATA, and Job Simulator. As VR continues to grow as a platform unto itself, we wanted to put together a list of this year’s top-selling VR games to highlight the variety of interesting VR experiences that are being bought and played," Valve said.
It will be interesting to see how VR matures as we progress through 2018, particularly with the Oculus Rift coming down in price and Microsoft making a major push into mixed reality experiences in Windows 10.
Overall it was another great year for PC gaming. Here's to having another one!