Collectively called SHIELD Experience Upgrade 3.0, you’ll find a number of Android-specific updates including a customizable Recommendations row, customizable Apps and Games Rows, an enhanced Google Play Store with easier discoverability, a simplified out-of-the-box setup experience, and more user-friendly methods to manage internal and external storage.
In addition, there are plenty of SHIELD Android TV-specific updates that are included with SHIELD Experience Upgrade 3.0, including:
- Vulkan API support
- Access the power menu with long press on Back button
- Quickly switch between 5.1 surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app
- Added wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search
- Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video
- Ultra HD TVs gain 1080p 60Hz resolution option
- Set RGB Full Range with supported TVs
- Improved support for Denon receivers and CEC volume control for more audio receivers
NVIDIA has also added support for a number of new Android games like Real Racing 3, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee, Dead Effect 2, Minecraft Story Mode and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.
We should also probably let you know that NVIDIA plans to make the update available to all SHIELD Android TV owners within the next hour, so your fluffy Marshmallow yumminess will be arriving momentarily.