Users on Twitter and elsewhere on the web report receiving the revised firmware over the weekend, and this time around, there haven't been any problems installing it. Microsoft seems to be doling out the update in chunks, as some Surface Pro 2 owners said they received the update on January 17th and others said it came on January 18th.
The December 2013 update was supposed to fix and improve the following issues:
- Improved system stability, including when minimizing full screen games
- Updated Wi-Fi driver for improved wireless display and connectivity with wireless access points
- Improved Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality
- Color fidelity improvements for all applications
- Optimized two-finger trackpad use
- Enhanced audio experience when connected to a Display Port 1.2 device.
Microsoft's revised firmware addresses those issues and also resolves problems introduced by the previous update, for those who were ultimately successful in installing it.