We aren't sure the world needs another streaming service, but that isn't stopping WarnerMedia from launching one. The new streaming service will be called HBO Max, and it is a direct-to-consumer service that will include original programming along with old classic series and content from a variety of other sources. HBO Max does include HBO content as well, including its slate of originals.
Netflix subscribers who are fans of the classic comedy "Friends" have wondered why it was leaving Netflix. HBO Max has announced that it will be the exclusive streaming location for all 236 episodes of the show. HBO Max also has the rights to all episodes of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and "Pretty Little Liars." Other exclusive streaming rights include new shows from the CW starting in the fall 2019 season.
HBO Max also has a deal in place for exclusive movie production with Greg Berlanti and Reese Witherspoon. Berlanti will produce four movies that aim at the young adult space with Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine production house making at least two films. WarnerMedia says that HBO Max will launch in the spring of 2020 with 10,000 hours of premium content.
HBO Max original shows will include:
- "Dune: The Sisterhood," an adaptation of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's book based in the world created by Frank Herbert's book Dune, from director Denis Villeneuve
- "Tokyo Vice," based on Jake Adelstein's non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort
- "The Flight Attendant," a one-hour thriller series based on the novel by Chris Bohjalian, which will star Kaley Cuoco, who is also executive producing alongside Greg Berlanti
- "Love Life," a 10-episode half-hour romantic comedy anthology series starring "Pitch Perfect" star Anna Kendrick, who will also executive produce alongside Paul Feig
- "Station Eleven," a postapocalyptic limited series based on Emily St. John Mandel's international bestseller, adapted by Patrick Somerville and directed by Hiro Murai
- "Made for Love," a 10-episode, half-hour, straight-to-series adaptation based on the tragicomic novel of the same name by Alissa Nutting, also from Somerville and directed by S.J. Clarkson
- "Gremlins," an animated series from Warner Bros. Animation and Amblin Entertainment based on the original movie
Other notable HBO shows include "The Outsider" from Stephen King, Joss Whedon's new sci-fi show "The Nevers" and lots more. it's not clear how much HBO Max will cost, but it will likely be more expensive than Netflix, which just hiked prices in April.