Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Madden 15 Top 2014 Sales Chart
CoD:AW took the top spot, though it wasn't the only CoD title to make the list. So did its predecessor Ghosts, the tenth main CoD game. Given the popularity of these titles (Ghosts raced to $1 billion in sales in just 24 hours when it was released in 2013), it's not surprising to see more than one CoD game on the top selling list.
Here's a look at all the games that made the top 10:
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
- NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- FIFA 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
All these hits helped the video games industry notch $13.1 billion in sales for the year (not including digital sales), up 1 percent from $12.94 billion in 2013.
As for the current crop of consoles, NPD Group's Liam Callahan said noted that they're outpacing their predecessors by a wide margin.
"After 14 months on the market, cumulative sales of PS4 and Xbox One exceed the Xbox 360 and PS3 cumulative 14 month total by 65 percent," Callahan said.