14 Year Old New York Teen Fortnite Gamer Sceptic Rakes In $200K A Year On YouTube

Griffin Spikoski of Long Island, New York at first glance appears to be your typical 14 year-old teen. Spikoski recently started high school and loves playing the popular game Fortnite. However, there is more to Spikoski than meets the eye. The 14 year-old gamer rakes in $200,000 USD a year by streaming Fortnite on YouTube and Twitch.

fortnite streamer sceptic

Spikoski, who is better known by his online persona “Sceptic”, first started playing Fortnite for fun. This all changed this past summer when he uploaded a YouTube video of him beating professional eSports player Tfue in Fortnite. The video received over 7.5 million views and quickly launched Spikoski’s career. He began receiving money from YouTube ads and Twitch Prime subscriptions. He now boasts over 1.2 million subscribers on YouTube, 1.8 million views on Twitch, a deal with Misfit Gaming, and an income of $200,000 USD a year.

Spikoski reportedly streams eight hours a day during the week and up to eighteen hours a day on the weekends. He was pulled out of public high school after three days due to the pressure of his gaming career. His parents noted that, “...he had issues every day that he was there-- either being distracted in class because people wanted his attention or feeling like he had to be Sceptic at school.” Spikoski is now completing his education through online schooling.


His parents have also hired a financial adviser and an accountant to help him manage his income. Spikoski stated that he plans on saving his money. He told a reporter in an interview with WABC-TV, “If this goes down or whatever, I can use it on college, a house, anything.”

fortnite streamer sceptic 2

Spikoski is certainly not the only Fortnite streamer who is bringing in a comfortable income. Ninja, aka Tyler Blevins, reportedly made $10 million in 2018. Belvins noted that 70% of income came from YouTube and Twitch, while the other 30% was made through sponsorships with companies like Samsung and Red Bull.

Many corporations now treat eSports like other professional sports. GameStop is finishing the final touches on an eSports training facility that is physically connected to the headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys in Frisco, Texas. The facility will feature “enhanced gaming equipment”, a video studio, data analytics for performance training, and a public gaming area. As eSports have become more popular, so have the opportunities to transform a passion for gaming into a fulfilling career. As Spikoski’s parents noted, “We don't really see that you need a 9-to-5 job to get by in life and you can actually have fun with a career and enjoy your love and do what you love and make a living out of it.”
Show comments blog comments powered by Disqus