SNK 40th Anniversary Retrotastic Game Collection Coming To Nintendo Switch
SNK, the Japanese hardware and software company that was very much a force during the golden age of arcade gaming, is getting ready to celebrate its 40th anniversary. What better way to do that than to bring back a bunch of classic titles, and what better company to partner with for such a celebration than Nintendo, which has seen huge success in the retro scene with its NES Classic and SNES Classic consoles? SNK couldn't think of any better answers either, and so it's releasing the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection for the Nintendo Switch in mid-November.
The SNK 40th Anniversary Collection bundles more than 13 games, some of which come with both the console and arcade version. So far, these are the titles that have been confirmed:
- Alpha Mission (Home & Arcade Versions)
- Athena (Home & Arcade Versions)
- Crystalis (Home Version)
- Ikari Warriors (Home & Arcade Versions)
- Victory Road (Home & Arcade Versions)
- Ikari III: The Rescue (Home & Arcade Versions)
- Guerilla War: Home & Arcade Versions)
- P.O.W. (Home & Arcade Versions)
- Preshistoric Isle (Arcade Version)
- Phycho Solider (Arcade Version)
- Street Smart (Arcade Version)
- TNK III (Home & Arcade Version)
- Vanguard (Arcade Version)
SNK promises to announce more games as part of the collection, but even without additional titles added to the mix, that's a pretty sweet lineup. For some, Ikari Warriors is the standout title. It's a vertically scrolling shoot 'em up arcade game inspired by the Rambo films that were popular in the 1980s and early 1990s.
In addition to all that retro gaming goodness, the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection will include an SNK Museum feature with high-definition artwork and promotional materials.
There will be some modern conveniences, too. Specifically, SNK is giving gamers the option to rewind and save gameplay at any time, as well as redesigned control schemes that are appropriate for the Switch.