Anyone who owns an electronic device with a battery inside should know by now that if damaged, and sometimes for no reason at all, batteries can overheat and burst into flames. This was
However, just recently an iPhone 6 has caught fire, this time in the U.S., and the explosion happened to get caught on surveillance video. The iPhone 6 was reportedly in a Las Vegas store to have the screen replaced after it cracked when the battery expanded from heat. The video shows a store employee sitting down the counter from the device with the iPhone simply lying on the counter when it bursts into flames with no warning whatsoever
The iPhone doesn’t burn for very long but did produce quite a bit of smoke and flame. The good news is that no one was injured in the fiery explosion, though the employee's underpants are likely the worse for wear. You can see the employee stand and gawk at the flames for a bit, run to the back of the store, then run back to the front and grab another phone to call 911. Apple has made no official comment on this explosion.
The iPhone 6 was one of the devices that were seeing performance throttled due to aging batteries. To make amends for that issue Apple reduced the price of a battery replacement from $79 to $29, but the batteries were in short supply in January, pushing replacements out to the spring. Maybe there was a reason for some iPhone planned obsolescence after all? Regardless, it's clear this repair store employee likely wishes this particular iPhone was put out to pasture a long time ago.