Valve Announces Left 4 Dead 2 With Melee Combat
Fans of the popular and highly addictive Left 4 Dead (I include myself in that group), will be excited to hear that Valve has just announced Left 4 Dead 2. In addition to new characters, zombies, and special infected, L4D2 will introduce melee combat weapons like a chainsaw, frying pan, or baseball bat (among others), and a new AI director that will dynamically adjust level layout, weather, lighting, and other objects in the game world.
We've got a teaser trailed posted below, along with a summary of the game's setting, features, and expected availability. I know what I'll be doing November 17...
Left 4 Dead 2 is the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer smash from Valve, creators of the Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike game properties. Left 4 Dead 2 promises to become one of 2009's top-selling games and set a new benchmark for co-operative action games.
The title adds melee combat to the award-winning L4D style of play, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.
Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.
Finally, with new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, maps for Survival mode at launch, and more.
Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC this November, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor and Online.
Left 4 Dead 2 is set at roughly the same time as the original – just after the outbreak that turned most of the population into various zombie mutants. Players assume the role of 4 new “Survivors,” each with their own personality and new dialog. The game leads these “Survivors” through the southeastern region of the US - from Savannah, Georgia thru the bayou country, and climaxing in New Orleans’ French Quarter.
- Next generation co-op action gaming from the makers of Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike.
- AI Director 2.0: Advanced technology dubbed “The AI Director” drove L4D’s unique gameplay – customizing enemy population, effects, and music, based upon the players’ performance. L4D 2 features “The AI Director 2.0” which expands the Director’s ability to customize level layout, world objects, weather, and lighting to reflect different times of day.
- New melee weapons – axe, chainsaw, frying pan, baseball bat – allow you to get up close with the zombies
- Four different survivors. New Story. New dialogue.
- More game. On day one, L4D 2 features more co-operative campaigns, more campaigns and maps for the Versus game modes than L4D 1, plus support for Survival mode out of the box.
- Stats, rankings, and awards system drives collaborative play
Left 4 Dead 2 is coming to the Xbox 360 and PC on Novemeber 17, 2009.