The console, which cannot accept PSP-3000 UMD-style games, can only retrieve games and content digitally. So you can either upload media from a flash card, your PC or over-the-air downloads. To some, this may not be that big of a deal; for those with vast PSP-3000 UMD game libraries, it's somewhat less appealing. But hey, we still think Sony will sell quite a few of these new things as the holiday run-up continues, even at the $249.99 price in North America.
As of right now, the highly anticipated console can be ordered or bought from retailers, with Sony currently offering 16,000 pieces of digital content for PSP owners on PlayStation Network, from games to hit movies and popular TV shows. Shortly, even more digital material will launch, including Gran Turismo, Tetris, God of War, Madden NFL, Star Wars Battlefront and lots of "mini-games." The PSP go system will be available in "Piano Black" and "Ceramic White," and will include a demo of popular rhythm action title Patapon 2 pre-loaded onto the system's memory.
Consumers will be able to download games and entertainment content from PlayStation Store directly onto their PSPgo system via Wi-Fi; through a PC using the Media Go(TM) application; or by transferring from a PS3(TM) system. The Media Go application has been updated with a new look and feel, offering an enhanced shopping experience. PSP owners can visit us.playstation.com/psn/mediago to download Media Go and for more details.
In addition, participating retailers will be selling PlayStation® Network Game Cards beginning with the launch of PSPgo. These cards will provide consumers an additional option to purchase their favorite digital games at retail, and the initial lineup of cards includes Daxter®, God of War®: Chains of Olympus, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm(®): Arctic Edge, among others. The PlayStation Network Game Cards complement the PlayStation Network Cards currently available in $10, $20 and $50 increments.
- New PSP titles - Virtually all PSP titles launching on UMD moving forward will also be available for the PSPgo system. Titles launching today include the PSP system's debut of the best-selling racing franchise, Gran Turismo, along with MotorStorm: Arctic Edge and Beaterator(TM). Other key titles launching soon from first-party and publishing partners include Assassin's Creed® Bloodlines(TM), BUZZ Master Quiz, DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY, Grand Theft Auto® Chinatown Wars(TM), Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier(TM), LittleBigPlanet(TM), NBA 10 The Inside, SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 and Star Wars Battlefront®: Elite Squadron(TM).
- PlayStation Network Exclusives - PixelJunk(®) Monsters Deluxe will be launching today; additional PlayStation Network exclusives launching this holiday include Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake and LocoRoco(TM): Midnight Carnival.
- "minis" - These bite-sized games offer a more casual experience, ideal for quick gameplay sessions on-the-go. Key titles launching today include Tetris® and Fieldrunners(TM).
- UMD Legacy titles - More than 150 titles previously released on UMD are now available, including recent releases such as Madden NFL 10, Soulcaliber® Broken Destiny, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour® 10.
- PSone® Classics - More than 60 classic PSone titles are now available for download.
- Videos - 2,300 movies and 13,000 TV shows are now available from major studios and content partners.