Audi To Open E-Tron Quattro Reservations In September For EV Showdown With Tesla Model X

Audi E-tron Quattro
Audi has been talking about its E-tron Quattro electric SUV for several months now, with the German automaker most recently announcing a delay. In a follow-up to that, Audi says it is planning to unveil the E-tron Quattro on September 17 during a global launch event in San Francisco, California, at which time it will begin taking pre-orders.

"We’re introducing a premium, customer-centric vehicle in a premium, customer-centric way," said Scott Keogh, president of Audi of America. "With our owners and our dealers, this process allows us to offer transparency from reservation and build all the way through delivery."



The E-tron Quattro is fully electric, five-passenger SUV aimed at the premium market. It features a large 95 kWh battery that Audi previously said would be good for around 250 miles per charge (that spec could change). It can charge to 80 percent in 30 minutes, and has a 150 kW charging capability for capability with over 15,000 public charging stations and over 39,000 charging outlets.

Audi also touts a dedicated cooling system to help keep the battery operating at an optimal temperature, and to ensure repeatable performance. On top of that, Audi has put the E-tron Quattro's battery through extensive crash testing. According to Audi, the battery's "solid casing" is designed to withstand a collision.

Audi E-Tron Quattro

Most of the other specs are not yet known, or have not been confirmed. Audi promises "exhilarating acceleration" from the SUV's dual electric motors, and based on previous rumors, they will combine to offer 320 kW of total output.

The E-tron Quattro will go up against Tesla's Model X, another electric SUV, which starts at $79,500. It should be an interesting showdown when Audi's SUV arrives.

Via:  Audi
Show comments blog comments powered by Disqus