AMD X470 Motherboards Supporting 2nd Gen Zen+ Ryzen CPUs Available For Preorder
Less than a week from now, AMD's retail partners will start shipping the company's second generation Ryzen processors, such as the Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600. There will be a rash of new motherboards too, based on AMD's X470 chipset. Several of them are already available to preorder at places like Amazon and Newegg, with prices ranging from around $140 on up to $300.
To be clear, you don't have to upgrade your platform for second generation Ryzen CPUs if you already own a socket AM4 motherboard—a BIOS update will do the trick and you should be good to do. The new X470 chipset is basically a refresh of X370 with improved power delivery to support higher clockspeeds and some new features such as StoreMi, a disk acceleration technology.
If you're building from the ground up, though, there is enough variety in the X470 landscape to warrant picking up newly minted motherboard versus one that is built on the previous generation X370 chips. One option that is available to preorder is MSI's X470 Gaming M7 AC. It's a higher end model priced at $260 on Amazon. It features amenities such as RGB lighting, steel reinforced PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots, and onboad 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
Another option on Amazon is MSI's X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, priced at $210. It offers similar features but lacks some higher end goodies typically found on pricier motherboards, such as a debugging LED and onboard power and reset buttons. But as the model name suggests, this is another option with built-in Wireless-AC connectivity.
Over at Newegg things are a little more fleshed out at the moment. Here's a look at some options:
- Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming—$140
- MSI X470 Gaming Plus—$140
- ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC—$150
- ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming—$160
- ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4—$170
- Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi—$180
- ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX/AC—$180
- ASUS Prime X470-Pro—$185
- ASUS ROG Strix X470-F—$215
- ASRock X470 Taichi Promontory—$230
- Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi—$240
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero X470—280
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi—$300
- ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate Promontory—$300