Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 Notebook
Lenovo's IdeaPad series of notebooks is quite different than the company's popular line up of ThinkPads. Ideapads are currently available in three series of products. The "U" series designates an ultraportable style with 11.1" or 13.3" widescreen displays and Intel Core 2 Duo processors. The "Y" series is for family entertainment and is available with up to a 17" screen and Intel 2.8GHz Core 2 duo processors. And finally, there is the super mobile "S" series netbook with its Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor and 10.2" display. Within the "U" and "Y" series there are a lot of models to choose from.
The Lenovo IdeaPad lines differ quite a bit from the Thinkpads we have reviewed in the past, such as the Lenovo Thinkpad W700 Mobile Workstation or the Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Ultraportable Notebook as you'll see in the pages ahead.
In this article, we'll be showcasing the Ideapad Y530 specifically, which offers a competitive array of features at a reasonable price point. With multimedia capabilities being a focus these days, we thought this model would more than cover the bases with its generous yet rather portable 15.4" display and Intel Core 2 Duo processor packed inside.
- Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1) 32-bit
- Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.0GHz Processor
- 1066 MHz FSB, 3 MB L@ Cache
- 2 GB of 667 MHz Memory
- Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset
- Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS / 256 MB VRAM
- 15.4 Inch Glossy WXGA Display (1280x800)
- VGA, HDMI, Output Ports
- Hitachi 5400 RPM - 250 GB
- 8x Slim Sony Optiarc DVD RW Dual Layer
- 802.11 A/B/G Intel WiFi Link 5100 w/Draft N
- Fast Ethernet (10/100). 56k Modem, Bluetooth 2.0
- Dolby Home Theater Sound w/ 4 Speakers and Subwoofer
- 1.3 MP Camera
- Integrated Array Microphone
- 6 in 1 Multimedia Card Reader
- ExpressCard 54 Slot
- 3 x USB 2.0 Ports 1 x Mini 1394
- 14.2" x 10.3" x 1.4" (W x D x H)
- 6.7 Pounds Weight
- 6-Cell 5200mAh 57Wh Battery
- Retail Price: $999.00
- 1 Year Warranty
The model we received for testing is geared towards multimedia related tasks and perhaps some light duty gaming . It comes equipped with an Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.0GHz processor, 2GB of DDR2-667 memory, a 250GB Hitachi 5400 RPM drive and a wide screen, 1280x800 resolution LCD. Add to that a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS graphics processor with HDMI output and a five speaker Dolby Home Theater Sound system and you have quite a little entertainment package. Our Y530 shipped with Windows Vista Home Premium.