The fit and finish, build quality and overall allure of this machine isn't all that different versus its closely related family members. And, as you can certainly tell from the model number, Asus didn't intend for it to be any huge departure from the norm. In fact, the 1000HE leads you on to believe that this is simply an Extended version (in terms of battery life, not cargo room) of the existing 1000H. In many ways, that's absolutely true, but as you'll see when venturing through the pages ahead, there were enough tweaks made to give even existing Eee owners a reason to pay attention.
Asus has been extremely careful not to drastically modify the magic elixir that has made the Eee PC line so successful, and while machines such as the S101 prove that the company doesn't mind rolling the dice, the 1000HE is about as safe as it gets. ASUS took no long shots in the design of this one, which will delight those already in love with the standard Eee PC look, but will probably disappoint those looking for a radical departure from the status quo. Our own feelings on the matter are this: the 1000HE is a fine form factor, though we wouldn't mind it losing a bit of thickness and seeing its bulk redistributed more evenly.
Looking at the hardware spread on this netbook, the whole "evolutionary" term pops back to mind. A few subtle updates are sprinkled throughout, though most of the components remain unchanged. Here's a look at what makes the Eee PC 1000HE tick:
- Intel Atom N280 Processor @ 1.66GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB
- 1GB of DDR2 Memory
- 10.2 inch LED-backlit LCD (1024 x 600 resolution)
- Intel Mobile 945GSE Chipset
- 160GB Seagate Momentus 5400.5 Hard Drive
- 10GB Online Eee Storage (free for 18 months)
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 2.0
- 1.3 megapixel webcam with Digital Array Microphone
- 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD, SDHC, Memory Stick and MS-PRO)
- VGA Output
- USB 2.0 x 3
- RJ-45 (Ethernet 10/100)
- Headphone / Mic Input Jacks
- 3.2 Pounds (with Battery Installed)
- 6 Cell Li-ion High Density 8700mAh Battery (Up To 9.5 Hours of Computing)
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Color Options: Pearl White, Black, Blue, Golden
The retail shipping box is remarkably similar to that which came with the Eee PC 1000H, boasting just enough room for the machine itself, a thoughtful slip cover and the AC adapter.