Verizon Points Bony Digit At Netflix For Poor Streaming Performance

The back and forth between Internet service providers (ISPs) and Netflix as to which side is to blame for poor streaming performance continues with Verizon penning a blog post saying its hands are clean. According to Verizon, it's not throttling streaming video from Netflix, and the reason why some of its customers with fast connections are experiencing poor quality video is entirely Netflix's fault, the ISP says.

Verizon claims to have investigated the issue after receiving a letter from a customer on a 75Mbps FiOS connection who wasn't receiving a good feed from Netflix.

"This review confirmed again what I’ve explained before: there was no congestion anywhere within the Verizon network. There was, however, congestion at the interconnection link to the edge of our network (the border router) used by the transit providers chosen by Netflix to deliver video traffic to Verizon’s network," Verizon said.

Verizon Infographic

In short, Verizon says the links chosen by Netflix get congested, while links from other transit providers carrying non-Netflix traffic do not and therefore perform fine.

"Netflix chose to attempt to deliver that traffic to Verizon through a few third-party transit providers with limited capacity over connections specifically to be used only for balanced traffic flows. Netflix knew better. Netflix is responsible for either using connections that can carry the volume of traffic it is sending, or working out arrangements with its suppliers so they can handle the volumes," Verizon added.

Though Verizon is claiming the situation is entirely Neflix's own fault, the ISP says it's working "aggressively" with the streaming video provider to establish new, direct connections that will alleviate the issue without prioritizing Netflix traffic in any way (thereby sidestepping net neutrality concerns).
Via:  Verizon
Comments
inspector 4 months ago

Let the finger pointing begin! :)

TButtons 4 months ago

Oh I'm sure Netflix is the problem.

PatrickKoelzow 4 months ago

Blaming a streaming service rather then upgrading infrastructure, this is like a corporate kindergarten.

MichaelWorley 4 months ago

Strange, I have Charter (and they do suck) but never have any problems streaming in three different rooms simultaneously. Verizon is (as per usual) lying their corporate asses off to hide poor business decisions.

Rosec14 4 months ago

I hear that. Charter is terrible. I spend 2 months calling in every day trying to get my speed increased. Turns out they were also charging me about 3 times their usual rate. -.-

thunderdan602 4 months ago

I have cox and we have no issues streaming Netflix.

WendellBeverly1 4 months ago

I have Verizon in Southern California and have had very few bad experiences with Netflix. Every once in a while the video quality will step down for a few seconds and then boost back up when it either buffers more or the streaming throughput rebalances. I have never had a consistent or long-term downgrade in video quality.

StaticFX 4 months ago

TWC here.. depends on the time of night... But usually netflix is quite good.

lirwin4 4 months ago

Advertising ISP's network speeds are always based on theoretical, maximum throughput.

This is misleading and grossly inaccurate advertising.

I really don't care who claims to have the fastest network!

I would rather know how the network performs at peak traffic periods.

You wants to pay for so called "high speed" only to get "dial up speed" due to congestion?

Congestion, capacity, and other factors need to factored in to determine real time results.

There needs to be a better standard.

Google has attempted to start this for "video quality reports" at http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

realneil 4 months ago

I don't believe Verizon. Not for a minute, not ever.