Sony Says "Death to the Clamshell"

Yes, Sony has declared a war on the clamshell, packaging that is. We wrote earlier about Amazon.com's "frustration-free packaging" initiative, and this is an example of a similar initiative, aimed at getting rid of those clamshell packages that seem almost lethal.

We call them lethal because (and I know you've experienced this if you've opened up any of these packages) those edges can be as sharp as a knife when you try to cut or pry them open.

But while Amazon.com has no brick-and-mortar operations to worry about, Sony does have to be concerned with security. I suppose a thief whose hand is bleeding is more obvious to security guards, but still.

Sony has released a video that reveals the incident that spurred on this initiative (albeit, fictitious). Fictitious or no, it's great to see more companies embracing an end to packaging that's as ridiculously hard to open as clamshell packaging is. Watch it below:
Via:  YouTube
Comments
FaceTheSlayer 6 years ago

Too much blood there, I expected better directing...

3vi1 5 years ago

There is a good reason to get rid of clamshell packaging: It's annoying and you need a pair of scissors or a pocket knife.

Danger's not a good reason to get rid of it. If someone injures themselves trying to open their new MP3 player... that's just Darwin at work.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

lol

I have a do hate the clamshell pakaging. I did get a papercut type slice on the edge of one once.Embarrassed

recoveringknowitall 5 years ago

I've never had a prob with it... I just cut along 3 of the edges so I can close it back up again neatly. They should get rid of it though, as opening can be tedious and/or cumbersome.

tanka12345 5 years ago

Hilarious Video (it looks so fake!) Big Smile

Der Meister 5 years ago

Though i find it annoying I think you can open most things in under 2min

kid007 5 years ago

I think the daughter of the boss up at Sony had an issue and then they realized that they had a big problem!

3vi1 5 years ago

Now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Remember: This packaging helps stop theft, like DRM. Well... technically DRM stops copyright infringement, but still its *practically the same thing*. But I digress...

If packages are easy to open, people might walk out of stores with the tiny products for free! Or, we could just keep it behind the counter and give it to them after they pay, like video game stores. And man, what a total five second hassle that is.

So, I propose we go the opposite direction: Let's encase the clamshell packaging in clamshell packaging and encase that in carbonite and protect those with Mandalorian bounty hunters.

It will increase profit 12-fold, because people can't return something as defective if they can't get it open before the 90-day warranty expires.