NVIDIA Begins Accepting Defective GPU Claims

It's begun. NVIDIA has finally begun accepting claims in the class-action settlement from late last year regarding defective laptop GPUs. The issue affected a number of Dell, HP, and Apple laptops, and spread across what can only be called a huge number of different models. The statement NVIDIA made on July 2nd, 2008 admitted the issue, and that the company was taking a $150 - $200 million charge to cover:
... anticipated customer warranty, repair, return, replacement and other consequential costs and expenses arising from a weak die/packaging material set in certain versions of our previous generation MCP and GPU products used in notebook systems. All newly manufactured products and all products currently shipping in volume have a different and more robust material set.
Among the symptoms exhibited by affected systems were:
  • Distorted or scrambled video on the notebook computer screen
  • No video on the notebook computer screen even when the notebook computer is on
  • Random characters, lines or garbled images on the notebook computer screen
The settlement has been approved by a California court, and the company began accepting claims on Jan. 13 for repairs, replacements or reimbursements at a dedicated website (linked below). The deadline for submissions is March 14th.
Via:  NVIDIA
Comments
inspector 3 years ago

Wheres the linked below? xD

marco c 3 years ago

Right under the "share this" button, in the 'VIA: NVIDIA".

realneil 3 years ago

I have one of the effected notebooks, however it remains wholly unaffected. This laptop works perfectly and always has, so I can't see dinging HP for any money.

BBritton 3 years ago

You know what sucks? I had two batteries for my HP dv9000 Laptop. They both got extremely hot and died within a year. I've had occasional flicker issues and several driver installs on the laptop as well, and now the video card is dead on my laptop (a mobile 7600 card) causing it to be inoperable. My model is covered under the nvidia class action, I purchased it during the appropriate period, but my part number conveniently isn't covered. Talk about a bloody mess!

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="BBritton"]I had two batteries for my HP dv9000 Laptop. They both got extremely hot and died within a year.[/quote]

If you saved them, they have a website that will replace them for free. Do a Google search for it.

MDavidson 3 years ago

how does this affect Dell owners in the UK? How do we make a claim?

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="MDavidson"]how does this affect Dell owners in the UK? How do we make a claim?[/quote]

May just be for US citizens since it played out in US courts. File a claim and see what happens, or maybe, if you have a relative here in the states, have them do it for you.

EDIT: You could also consider posting on several forums and gathering as many people you can together, then finding a barrister that wants to file a lawsuit on your behalf. In the US case, the affected computer owners are receiving 2 Million dollars worth in repairs, while the Lawyers got 12 Million for their efforts. The fact that the company 'settled' here, should make it a slam dunk there.

If this works for you, you'll owe me for the advice, so send me some good tea. Big Smile

bizz4ethix 3 years ago

If anyone is unfamiliar with W. Edwards Deming, please look him up on wikipedia. If businesses would follow his philosophy. The world would be much different. I believe much better. He came up with a 14-step model for ethically succeeding in business. For example, "3. Cease dependence on inspection to achieve quality. Eliminate the need for massive inspection by building quality into the product in the first place."

Imagine that? Focusing on pro-actively making quality products so you don't end up like most corporations: Nvidia, BP, Microsoft, GM, Matel, Compaq, Almost every Airline, and on and on and on. Maybe I am just a dreamer?

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="bizz4ethix"]Eliminate the need for massive inspection by building quality into the product in the first place[/quote]

Nope,....been there, done that. It doesn't work. Nothing wrong with designing the very best product possible, but relaxing QA inspection never worked in the past. There was a recognized need for it to begin with, and that's why it exists.

I think that all of this hassle and expense that NVIDIA's experiencing is due to not so good design coupled with poor quality control.

As I said earlier, I have one of these Laptops that I bought new. It works perfectly and it always has. (built on a good Quality Assurance day?)

3vi1 3 years ago

Gotta agree with Neil on this.

You can *try* to build quality into your product (as you should), but all it takes is one manufacturing machine to develop a defect to shoot that all to bloody hell.