Mall Santa Hops on Skype, Will Talk Red Ryder BB Guns for 10 Minutes

A bustling shopping mall in Canada is ending a more than century old tradition of having kids line up for hours to sit on Santa's knee to tell the bearded gift giver what they want for Christmas. This year they'll need to sign up in advance for a one-hour story time session on Saturday morning, in which they'll also have a chance to sit on his knee and have their photo taken; the rest of the time he'll be on Skype.

"Santa has gone digital! This year, only at the Toronto Eaton Centre, your child can have a one on one Skype with Santa!," the mall states on its website.

Parents can register their child for a 10-minute Skype session with Santa Monday through Friday from 6PM to 8PM and never have to leave their homes. The session is reportedly free, though not necessarily popular among all the parents.

I think it's sad," Heather Austin, a mom who had planned to take her 20-month-old daughter to see Santa, told the The Huffington Post.

According to the mall's marketing director Meredith Vlitas, the decision to take Santa digital this year was part of a desire to make things more fun for parents and kids, as opposed to standing in line for up to three hours, and sometimes longer.
Comments
AKwyn 3 years ago

I'd say that if this is successful then this could be another online holiday tradition; along with the annual NORAD Tracks Santa of course.

Inspector 3 years ago

The child would be missing out on a old tradition, its just not the same online. When u go to the mall to meet him, you also get to buy some gifts for your self :P

KreepyK 3 years ago

I can already envision that being outsourced to India

Manduh 3 years ago

Although, I do have to admit KreepyK, that was HILARIOUS!!!

KreepyK 3 years ago

Thanks, Manduh. I know it's late but congratulations for winning, well deserved.

Der Meister 3 years ago

With skype Santa you wont be able to get a hilarious picture sitting on his lap...

Manduh 3 years ago

[quote user="KreepyK"]

Thanks KreepyK! I'm getting it on Monday!! I'm super super excited!!!! :D

omegadraco 3 years ago

There are some thing that are just not as good online. This I believe is one of them.

xylem 3 years ago

I see it as one more tradition getting KILLED! Our kids and the next generation would never get to feel "How it feels to sit on Santa's lap". and soon Santa would also exist in a computer screen just like others! :(

rapid1 3 years ago

Info Santa for the information age right! I don't know the world in a lot of cases is showing definite signs of becoming less and less human. This is not a good thing to me in many ways.

gazd1 3 years ago

Nothing wrong with the new, but I'd rather see the old traditions hang around & not go obsolete.

gloriad1 3 years ago

Always good to see something new come in, but the old was and still is the best.

Manduh 3 years ago

The last few years I haven't taken my daughter to the malls to see Santa because she figured out long ago that he's not the REAL Santa... I simply told her she is right that these guys are just Santa's helpers who try to get to all the malls that Santa can't make it to.

Instead I've been using Magic Santa to send personalized videos to her from the REAL Santa, she still believes in him this way (http://magicsanta.ca/) This year I'm going to try out the Skype Santa and see how that goes over.

I think it's a wonderful idea. Sure I like traditions as much as the next person but not if it means a 3 hour line up with crying, whiny, tantrum filled, tired kids all around you, only to get up to Santa and my kid tell him he's not real. That just ends up with me having a huge migraine and my daughter feeling let down that the real Santa didn't come to our mall again.

Besides if other parents still want to stand in line to see Santa, there's tons of malls where they can go for photo ops. I'm actually really excited about this for my little girl, she'll love it just as much as the MagicSanta no doubt!

business123 3 years ago

http://www.dresses4cheap.com/ cheap dress . http://www.dresses4cheap.com/plus-dresses-c-7.html Plus dresses You still do worry for their price. We have here the latest products. Best cheap price. Payment within one week after arrival. We have professional http://monclerjacken.interblog.de/ wedding blog . For understanding. If you need, please click on