announced a new (and free!) application for the PC that lets users enjoy Kindle
books on their
computers. Thanks to the Kindle for PC software, Kindle books can now be read
on the Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone, iPod touch, and PC.
To make it even easier to read your favorite books on
various devices, Kindle for PC uses Amazon’s Whispersync technology which
automatically saves and synchronizes bookmarks and the last page read across devices.
Currently, the U.S. Kindle Store (www.amazon.com/kindlestore
offers over 360,000 books for a typical price of $9.99 or less.
"Kindle for PC is the perfect companion application for
folks who own a Kindle or Kindle DX," said Ian Freed, Vice President,
Amazon Kindle. "Kindle for PC is also a great way for people around the
world to read the most popular books of today even if they don’t yet have a
According to Amazon, readers can take advantage of the
following features thanks to Kindle for PC:
- Purchase, download, and read hundreds of thousands of books
available in the Kindle Store
- Access their entire library of previously purchased Kindle
books stored on Amazon’s servers for free
- Choose from over 10 different font sizes and adjust words
- Add and automatically synchronize bookmarks and last page
- View notes and highlights marked on Kindle and Kindle DX
- Zoom in and out of text with a pinch of the fingers (Windows
7 users only)
- Turn pages with a finger swipe (available in a future
release for Windows 7 users)
Kindle for PC is compatible with Windows 7, Windows XP, and
Windows Vista. With Windows 7, Kindle for PC is able to take advantage of some
of the new features including Windows Touch technology.
The software will be available to customers around the world
as a free download next month. To be notified when Kindle for PC is available
for download, register at http://www.amazon.com/KindleforPC