Here's a heads up if you're in the market for Chromebook. Google
have put a temporarily hold on sales of the HP Chromebook 11
after a "small number" of users complained about an overheating issue with the stock charger that comes included with the laptop. In a statement on its Google Chrome Blog, the sultan of search said it and HP are working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission on appropriate corrective measures.
"In the meantime, customers who have purchased an HP Chromebook 11 should not use the original charger provided with the product. In the interim they may continue using their HP Chromebook 11 with any other Underwriters Laboratories-listed micro-USB charger, for example one provided with a tablet or smartphone. We apologize for the inconvenience," Google said.
This is not something to take lightly. Faulty chargers are known to overheat, catch fire
, and even electrocute a person, the latter of which recently happened to a flight attendant living in China. She died as a result.
Usually such extremes are linked to shoddy third-party parts, as well as inferior electrical grids in other parts of the world. And to be clear, there haven't been any reports of the HP Chromebook 11's bundled charger electrocuting anyone. However, there is a potential problem, and with Google and HP recommending users to stop using the original charger, you should heed the warning.