Google Fiber, Eat Your Heart Out: CenturyLink is Upgrading Omaha to Gigabit Internet

Make all the jokes you want about Nebraska, but that state knows college football, beef, corn, and living the good life, and now its largest city (which is a rapidly growing area, by the way) will be one of the precious few metropolitan areas in the country with gigabit Internet.

ISP CenturyLink announced today that it will be piloting a fiber network that will deliver gigabit speeds to some 48,000 homes and businesses on the west side of Omaha. CenturyLink already has a fiber network there, and the company will upgrade it to fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) technology to allow for the high Internet speed.

Omaha
Omaha, Nebraska skyline

Those using the service will also have access to CenturyLink’s enterprise-class 100 Gbps global network, which is built to handle big data, cloud services, and other demanding tasks. The rollout is starting next week, with a complete date sometime in early October.

CenturyLink joins the likes of the quaintly named Vermont Telephone Company in offering gigabit speeds to new areas. What was that we were saying before about how Google Fiber will challenge existing ISPs to do better?

Update: According to Omaha.com, customers can get the gigabit service, which will be dubbed "Lightspeed Broadband", for $79.95 per month when bundled with other CenturyLink services, or $149.95 all on its own.
Via:  PR Newswire
Comments
MayhemMatthew one year ago

Watch as they turn around and impose a 10GB limit. lolololol

Kidbest100 one year ago

[quote user="MayhemMatthew"]

Watch as they turn around and impose a 10GB limit. lolololol

The sad thing is, I can see that happening! XD

mhenriday one year ago

But Seth, why should Google Fiber eat its heart out ?!! As you recognise in the article text, using the power of example to force US ISPs to finally provide better and faster services was and is the obvious point of the whole game for Google ; they hardly envisaged going into the fibre-cable business in a big way....

Henri

scolaner one year ago

Just pointing out that for all the hullabaloo around Google Fiber (perpetuated by lots of people, including myself), other ISPs are now jumping in to bring gigabit Internet to the market. This, in contrast to TWC's lame attempts to "compete"...

Also, I don't believe that Google is launching gigabit networks *merely* to force ISPs into action--rather, it's a really terrific side effect of Google Fiber rollouts. And why wouldn't Google want to become a major ISP? Sounds lucrative to me, especially if they can do it better and cheaper than everyone else. Plus, then they'd have that much more control over the Internet.

Clixxer one year ago

Man, honestly I don't think we know Google's true intention yet. I know KC was a big test for them to see if they could do it as what cost. Obviously it was a success so now they are moving to other cities and ISPs have been put on notice with CenturyLink and AT&T planning to offer gigabit speeds. I think Google would be stupid to not try and turn a profit from this but I could see them staying limited if the competition starts doing massive gigabit roll outs at decent prices.

KOwen one year ago

$150 a month is a bit steep for the majority of people I would think. I certainly couldn't afford that. Google Fiber is less than half that at $70 a month. I applaud their effort, but hopefully over time as this speed becomes more commonplace the price premium will steadily decline.

I can't wait to see the evolution of the internet once bandwidth issues for the majority of the population are a thing of the past. The internet has always evolved faster in design and implementation than it has with speed (feels like a never ending game of catch-up). Perhaps for the first time in history we will finally have enough speed plus room to grow, allowing us nearly limitless potential.

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="KOwen"]

Well considering that Verizion is 170+ and AT&T Uverse is 160+ (I used to pay $167 for 24 down and U300) and all the other Internet and cable companies charge about the same after discounts are taken away its not really. That and what you get for it assuming they don't put a cap on it isn't to bad. I would like to see it lower and I'd also hope in time after alot of the country gets it that they will get into price wars which is better for us.

BloudMai one month ago

ROFL sadly CL is even more full of garbage than Cox Communications at least in my instance. If you live on one side of Omaha you can have gigabit speed , prism premier, and phone for only 189...

Meanwhile on my side of town same goddamn city b.t.w., I only get 3 MBS internet, Direct TV, with less channels and phone for 159 !!!!

Cox Communications sucks but it sucks equally across the board. it isn't any faster on the side of town where the Cox executives reside.

I'll kindly stating that Century Link can kiss my fuzzy $%^&* @#$. Come on GOOGLE "SAVE OMAHA FROM BOTH OF THESE MORONIC SERVICE PROVIDERS I'M BEGGING YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"