Google Cloud Print Could Cut The Printer Cord Forever

A lot of things have changed in technology over the past decade. Broadband has replaced dial-up. 1GHz now seems slow. Netbooks are now a reality. Tablets are coming back. Change is everywhere, but some things have sadly remained the same. Printers are still stuck in the stone-age, and ink still costs far more than it reasonably should. Leave it to Google to take a hard look at a technology that hasn't really changed much and, well, change it.

Google's latest attempt to innovate where others have simply overlooked is in printing, and interestingly, this attempt is being tied to the forthcoming Chrome OS. There's no denying that Google thinks that the future is in the cloud. Google Cal, Google Docs and almost everything Google does is cloud-based, enabling users to see and access the same information regardless of where they log-in at. Chrome OS is slated to be the first real operating system that's primarily sourced from the cloud, with web apps replacing physical apps. What else could head to the cloud? You guessed it: printing.

Google has this week revealed "a new approach to printing." By designing a printing experience that relies on the cloud, the company hopes that Google Cloud Print will enable any application (web, desktop, or mobile) on any device to print to any printer. It's network printing taken to an entirely new level, and it's so crazy that it just might work. Rather than rely on the local operating system (or drivers) to print, apps can use Google Cloud Print to submit and manage print jobs. Google Cloud Print will then be responsible for sending the print job to the appropriate printer with the particular options the user selected, and returning the job status to the app.

The project is still early in development, but both the code and documentation has already been made public. Does the USB printer have a chance at survival? Probably not in Google's world.
Via:  Chromium Blog
Comments
3vi1 4 years ago

I hope they have decent access control built in. I'd hate to see the printer become the next playground for spammers - like fax machines.

Inspector 4 years ago

Lol your sitting there and your printer goes crazy priting out random stuff... I would sure be pissed as ink is not cheap :(

3vi1 4 years ago

On second thought, I hope they don't have it locked down - so that I can use it to market my new internet business idea that Inspector just now gave me!

Here's the 8.5x11" flyer we'll send to everyones' printers:

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

Here's the 8.5x11" flyer we'll send to everyones' printers:

That is funny.

For additional fun, why not have it print out a whole rainbow of colors, then we can truly say that we wasted all of the ink if that's morally objectionable.

Der Meister 4 years ago

every time I go to buy ink they are always out of white....lol

Inspector 4 years ago

Lol 3vi1, chabge the text to a color text to waste even more ink :P. But i hate spammers so If that cones though my printer i would surly just unplug my printer and throw out the flyer... :D

3vi1 4 years ago

I designed it based on the premise that the majority of sales would go to people who owned black&white printers, that colored text on black&white printers might not stand out against the background, and that color printers might mix colors to make black once all of their black toner is gone.

But you guys had good ideas too. We can send a cover sheet in the form of a 12' long rainbow.

Inspector 4 years ago

Ahh then you should of made the text black and have an outline around the text white, that would take up more ink :) lol.

3vi1 4 years ago

Damn... that's a good idea.

Sunburn74 4 years ago

I would flip out if I ever came home and found 20 of those flyers sitting in my printer, one incompletely printed page, and 479 pages of blank sheets spooled out completely. I'm talking rogue, vigilante justice-type flipping out, where you have to go kick a door in and pistol whip some people to get some answers.

3vi1 4 years ago

Hehe... And any sensible on the jury, would give you a free pass.... which takes us back to my first post.

animatortom 4 years ago

I don't think that the USB printer is dead. It just needs a jumpstart.

If cloud could replace the drivers and control everything from any central location that you use it would be really nice. The only question would be turning on the remote access option. If you leave that on all the time it could become a security risk.

It would be nice to be able to print something when you are out on your smartphone.

3vi1 4 years ago

Here's the problem I see with this: See that phone in the diagram? And see the legacy printer sitting directly behind the router?

Do you really want to send everything you print remotely from your iPad-like devices through the Internet unencrypted? I think they need to add data encryption to the client, and force legacy printers to sit behind a Pogoplug-type device.

Inspector 4 years ago

My printer prints photos from my iphone directly :D.

I agree with 3vi1 that the files should be encrypted because there are lots in information some people print. Then again the more advance we are the less secure we are getting...

Kyouya 4 years ago

I'm not a fan of any form of Cloud computing after that huge debacle from T-Mobile with the Microsoft Sidekick incident. For those who don't remember, you can read up on it in this link.

Unless engineers found a secured way to protect data loss, Cloud computing will be for a niche group of people only.