Game Developers Conference 2010 Highlights

Just this past week, the Game Developers Conference was held in downtown San Francisco, CA. If you're unfamiliar with GDC, it is the "world's largest professionals-only game industry event." In other words, everyday gaming enthusiast can't just walk in off the street to take a look around. GDC is held every spring and is basically a forum for learning and networking for the creators of computer, console, handheld, mobile, and online games. Hundreds of companies come out to present their latest wares, preview upcoming titles, and also interview thousands of potential game developers...

Game Developers Conference 2010 Highlights

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
3vi1 4 years ago

Wow - as soon as that VisuMotion comes down in price, I WANT ONE!

gibbersome 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

Wow - as soon as that VisuMotion comes down in price, I WANT ONE!

I couldn't get a good idea of the 3D effect on the video. Matt, what did you think about it, was the 3D effect significant enough to make you want to drop $2k on it?

rapid1 4 years ago

Those Reactor systems are just awesome, and the 3D without glasses is a real glimpse of the future I think. With GPU's going as high in functionality as they are today, and with the next releases the taxation on a single display will got down considerably as long as your GPU is top of the line ATI or Nvidia.

Der Meister 4 years ago

indeed the VisuMotion display is sweet! I have gotten to see one of those in real life, it was a blast to play with

Marius Malek 4 years ago

I can't wait to move to California. I've never been to a convention...ever. I know that they have them in Boston and such, but I live in SC, so my options are....ill to none.

Anyway, I know I keep saying this. But the next 20 years....AWESOME.

RyuGTX 4 years ago

[quote user="Marius Malek"]

Anyway, I know I keep saying this. But the next 20 years....AWESOME.

GDC is especially expensive. My friend went and said it was great. Got free stuff like the Droid phone. Apparently, he name was drawn for a prize drawing to win some sort of Xbox 360 and Modern Warfare thing (worth $1k) but he was doing an interview. His brother was there but didn't have the courage to claim the prize for him...

animatortom 4 years ago
Been to all of them on a regular basis except this one :(

E3, Sigraph, comic con, All just a real blast!!

Plus the Swag is always fun to collect, all are geeks paradise!!
RyuGTX 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]

Been to all of them on a regular basis except this one :(

E3, Sigraph, comic con, All just a real blast!!

Plus the Swag is always fun to collect, all are geeks paradise!!

Never heard of Sigraph before.

Only conventions I've been to are Anime-expo and Fanime. Only been to both once. Not sure if I will go again. It was kinda expensive (especially the hotel) and I didn't really like Fanime that much. Driving to San Jose from Orange County was a pain.

I really want to go to TGS and E3.

animatortom 4 years ago
Never been to TGS, although my GF is Japanese, that is enough of a game show for me :P
Seems like everyone is trying to do Fanime now. That is why it is so hard to be original, and even harder to hold onto your ideas. Because everyone is so starved.
That is why I always rant about all the remakes of movies, and copying of ideas! It is kinda hard to think of anything that has been original in the past 15 years. Even the Matrix was just a compilation of various Anime filmed in live action.
Sigraph is for the professionals in the fields of computer arts and animation, game development and the likes. Even then it is expensive to get into. E3 used to be mainly for the pro's as well, then they figured they could get more money and exposure if they open it up to everyone.
RyuGTX 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]

LOL. Liked how you compared your GF to a game show.

Thanks for the Siggraph link. Seems like they hold it all over the world and quite frequently too.

Yeah, E3 went through a few changes. Before it was great. Then they dumbed it down because companies said they were spending too much on E3 and getting no returns on it. So I think it was media only for a few years.