Firefox 8 Arrives a Day Early, Grab It While It's Hot!

Mozilla won't officially drop Firefox 8 onto the public until Tuesday, November 8 (otherwise known as tomorrow, at least at the time of this writing), but why wait? If you're anxious to get your mitts on the next stable release of Firefox, you can head over to Mozilla's FTP site and grab your copy now, a full day ahead of schedule.

Either way, you still have to wait until tomorrow for the official release notes, but here are some of the highlights included in Mozilla's next Firefox release:
  • Twitter integration (you can choose Twitter as one of the default search options)
  • Improved HTML5 support, including HTML5 context menus
  • Better Tab control
  • Add-ons are no longer installed willy-nilly and require user permission (that's not always in the case in previous versions of Firefox, perhaps most noticeable when installing antivirus software)

There are a bunch of other changes and tweaks, most of which are minor in nature.

Via:  Mozilla
Comments
JStewart 3 years ago

Tried and got this: http://postimage.org/image/q8ixuqk4l/

Manduh 3 years ago

I think I'll wait a little longer for installing. The last release caused me some problems and I've switched to Chrome and have been using it ever since. I'll try it out but doubt I'll switch back from Chrome.

Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

Really? what problems are you having? I'm running ff7 on widnows 7, xp, and leopard without problems.

Manduh 3 years ago

I'd get serious lag when opening a page and a majority of the time I'd get "page cannot be found" messages. Yet with Chrome, I never get those problems. My bf still uses FF and is having the problems too so it wasn't just on my laptop. I'll see how the update works on his desktop before I update mine. But like I said, I'm happy with Chrome... and 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' lol

realneil 3 years ago

My FF-7 just automatically upgraded to FF-8 and restarted. So I guess I'm trying it  out.

Manduh 3 years ago

[quote user="realneil"]

LOL gotta love when you don't get a choice eh?!! ;P

realneil 3 years ago

It seems to be a little faster so far. Started up the other four PC's and they all updated too.

rrplay 3 years ago

[quote user="Manduh"] [quote user="realneil"]

LOL gotta love when you don't get a choice eh?!! ;P

Well. sorta had a choice ...funny while reading this thread this morning checked my version of FF and  it was updating itself and with the option to apply the update & restart  etc .it was available so just ran with it to see how FF 8  is .So I did actually have the choice to apply the update.A particular plug-in may not be supported at this time ans no big deal at at this time.

OptimusPrimeTime 3 years ago

"Thanks for the heads up. Well, since I hardly use FF anymore, might as well give it a shot tomorrow and upgrade to test out the improvements.Chrome has been nice to me."

AKwyn 3 years ago

I think I already tried out Firefox 8, and 10 for that matter. I guess Nightly (while being supposedly unstable, which I have not seen) really is good to me.

In any case, Firefox is good... It may not be as fast as Chrome but it's got good addon suppost, great HTML support and well if your using 64-bit, speed... And everybody knows the only browser out there that's not Internet Explorer and that is 64-bit is Firefox...

So yeah.... Go get it...

jimcollier 3 years ago

Yeah but what (real-world) advantage do you get with 64-bit Firefox, over, say, 32-bit Chrome with dedicated-4gb-process-per-tab (on a 64-bit OS with >4gb)?

And what about plugin support?

I'm not arguing against 64-bit. I'm writing this in Firefox v7 x86_64 (Linux of course). And now that I think about it, I have all my standard plugins installed (and I just verified I am in fact using Firefox x64). Wonder how that works. So maybe the same holds true for Windows version...?

And since this post will still exist and seem ridiculous in 1 or 2 years, let me acknowledge and agree that it will! 64-bit Chromium is already underway and 64 bit flash & java are solid.

But for now, today, Nov 8 2011, it doesn't seem likely, given enough RAM, that 32-bit Chrome on 64-bit OS would offer any noticeable constraints even on the most demanding websites. Unless, I've misunderstood Chrome's architecture and it can't actually use 4gb per web page.

(Chrome is just too crashy for me though, depending on the version running. Firefox is also too unstable for my tastes ever since they adopted the Chrome release model, it seems. And I don't run tons of plugins.

But the initial question is still valid.

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="jimcollier"]what (real-world) advantage do you get with 64-bit Firefox, over, say, 32-bit Chrome with dedicated-4gb-process-per-tab (on a 64-bit OS with >4gb)?[/quote]

Don't use 32 bit chrome. No answer to that.

FF 64-bit is stable for me ~most~ of the time, so I use it. (FF-v7 had problems at first, but they updated and they went away)

[quote user="jimcollier"](Linux of course)[/quote]

LOL! My Linux is Ubuntu 'cause it's easy and works without any BS. It's on two PC's here.

[quote user="jimcollier"]And since this post will still exist and seem ridiculous in 1 or 2 years, let me acknowledge and agree that it will! [/quote]

I can blow that one out of the water for you and delete it ,.........Smile

Inspector 3 years ago

going to just wait a day, wouldn't hurt now right? :D. They should make plugins and all compatible with all versions. :(

omegadraco 3 years ago

I'll probably grab it this weekend. Don't really care about the twitter integration but the speed is for me. Plus each revision is slowly fixing the memory leak issue.

Mike Coyne 3 years ago

I did updated to FF8. It seem bit faster. So far i like it. Also I run other FF10 (nightly Fox 64 bit browser) and no way to know if the Nightly Fox is stable and wait and see what happen to Night Fox. I think FF8 and Nightly Fox (FF10 64 bit) run faster about same speed. I guess i can use both of them. at once. Have anyone tried out on Nighty Fox 64 bit ?

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="Mike Coyne"]Have anyone tried out on Nighty Fox 64 bit ?[/quote]

No,...I've been sticking to full version releases for about a year.