Business users who want instant-on access to productivity
tools without having to boot into the operating system will be interested in Dell's
latest Latitude ON |
FLASH offering. This optional memory module can boot up a computer in seconds.
As the latest addition to the Latitude ON family, Latitude
ON | FLASH runs on a special flash memory module that snaps into an internal
mini-card slot on supported systems. The original Latitude ON is an OMAP-based
add-in card that delivers instant access and all day battery life for business
users of select notebooks. This latest addition fits in the middle of the
Latitude ON options, between the Latitude ON Reader and the full OMAP version.
In a blog
on Dell's Web site, Lionel Menchaca explained one of the benefits of Latitude
ON | FLASH: "By running on a low-cost memory card Latitude ON | FLASH
delivers a broad level of functionality at a significantly lower price point
than the original Latitude ON OMAP-based offering." However, as Menchaca
also points out, since the software doesn't run on a dedicated processor that
requires significantly less power, you won't get the same multi-day battery
life benefits that you would otherwise get with an Arm processor.
Dell is offering Latitude |ON FLASH as an option on new
Latitude E4200, E4300, and Z machines for a $50 upgrade (hardware and software
Key Features include:
- Fast boot in 8-10 seconds
- Wi-Fi and LAN 10/100/1000 networking capabilities
- Secure environment with Multi-user login, strong password,
and a locked-down environment that is tamper proof and malware/virus resistant
- Thin client capabilities with Web access or Citrix, VMware
and RDP clients to access remote desktops.
- Chat and VoIP Chat capabilities supporting ICQ, MSN, Google
Talk, AIM, Yahoo Messenger services.
- VoIP allows text, voice or video chat (using built-in webcam
- Read Microsoft Office 2000, XP, 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010
docs. Also, Adobe PDF 8.1 (requires internet connection)
- Edit Microsoft Office 2000, XP, 2000, 2003 and 2007
documents (requires internet connection)
- Supports IT pushed upgrades. User policies include Remote
delete/wipe data, lock screen (after specified inactivity), force password
change, delete accounts, failed password lockout
- Supports JAVA, Adobe Flash, Remote Desktop – Citrix, Remote
Desktop – VMware, and Remote Desktop – RDP