Chinese Manufacturer TCL to Launch 50-inch 4K Ultra HD TV in U.S. for Under $1,000

The revolution won't just be televised, it is a television. Or, more precisely, an emerging television standard. We've known for some time that 4K Ultra HD would be the next frontier in TV land, though high prices and lack of content are two hurdles that have kept the revolution at arm's length, ensuring that your swanky new Full HD 1080p television is still relevant. Eventually the industry will leap over both hurdles, and perhaps sooner than you think.

Chinese manufacturer TCL (The Creative Live), supposedly the third largest TV brand in the world, just announced its fall product lineup for the U.S. Headlining the crop of incoming TV sets is a 50-inch edge-lit LED 4K Ultra HD TV launching in September with an aggressive $999 MSRP. That's right, 50 inches of 4K real estate will cost less than a grand.

TCL 50-inch 4K Ultra HD TV

"Our mission is to deliver high quality HDTVs with advanced technologies and premium design at an aggressive price to establish the TCL brand in the U.S.,"said Michelle Mao, President, TCL USA. "Similar to what the market saw a dozen years ago with the introduction of HDTVs, 4K UHD TVs are priced so high today that most consumers cannot afford them. As one of the world’s largest TV brands, TCL is able to change that, so we are launching our 50-inch 4K TV at a $999 MSRP to allow more consumers to enjoy the stunning picture quality and enhanced resolution of UHD TVs. While other brands see the introduction of 4K as an opportunity to make large margins – we see it as an opportunity to demonstrate to U.S. consumers the combination of advanced technology and great value we’ve been delivering across the world for over 30 years."

If TCL is able to pull this off -- and we're cautiously optimistic it will -- the company will win over a lot of fans. TCL's 4K TV will feature a 3840x2160 resolution, which is four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p. Of course, content is still lacking, and probably will be for a long while to come, but in the meantime, TCL's TV will upscale all of your HD movies and TV shows. Other features include a 120Hz refresh rate, 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, an ultra-thin bezel, and four HDMI inputs.

Look for this one to launch in August.
Via:  TCL
Tags:  HDTV, Television, 4k, tcl, Ultra HD
Comments
DustinMaxfield one year ago

Cool. I think that resolution would give my graphics card a heart attack.

shadizzle one year ago

TCL is what is formally known as RCA before they sold to china....

Like others out there- You get what you pay for.

RZielaskowski one year ago

yay

Clixxer one year ago

I'd be interested to see how well this TV looks. From my home theater install days ive messed with a bunch of TCL TVs and they were so so at best IMO. I wonder if 4K will make them produce good quality or if its a gimmick.

lakiw one year ago

Awesome. If this come to MNE i will be firt in the line!

RWilliams one year ago

I really wish more of these displays came with DisplayPort, so that people who hook their PC up to it might actually be able to do better than 30Hz (HDMI caps @ 30Hz 4K). Something like this would make for a killing gaming display potentially, but the lack of DisplayPort kills that idea off.

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="RWilliams"]

Just curious but do you know if an active display port adapter could circumvent this or its going though an HDMI cable so no matter what its capped at 30 Hz?

DanJChiccino one year ago

I wonder if it'll be 60hz capable at 4k. Would love to game on one of these.

BEckley one year ago

I'm kinda leery about the 120mhz refresh rate for a 4k TV. I'm wondering if you will get ghosting in the picture with that slow of a processor.

Clixxer one year ago

I never even thought about that, guess I take the "Game" mode on my Samsung for granted way to much. Would be interesting to know. Guess that is something to wait and see.

ajm531 one year ago

if these guys can pull this off i lay my cash out to them in any kind of bills they want. Ill probably buy two of these. Although im a bit cautious but my brain is throwing out any thinking or logic out the window. all i can think is (said in homer voice) "TV"

SeanJDSorrell one year ago

reminds me of the korean monitor craze... i'd buy one