When it comes to wireless connectivity, "fast enough" never actually is fast enough. There's always a need for having something faster, and
with growing file sizes and loads of HD content everywhere you look,
it's easy to understand why a company like Atheros would be working
towards a faster Internet. The company has today introduced two new
802.11n router solutions, bringing high-end wireless performance to
mainstream Wi-Fi products.
Both of the new products are highly integrated, and they should find
their way into mainstream routers and residential gateways shortly. The
new Align AE933x and AR934x SoC solutions include all of the major
components required to build 1-stream or
2-stream 802.11n routers, respectively. This high level of silicon
integration not only enables smaller and more energy-efficient
networking products, but also provides manufacturers with a flexible and
cost-effective platform for adding advanced wireless connectivity to
consumer electronic devices.
Here's hoping we see some of this stuff hit routers soon; those 2.4GHz
airwaves are getting crowded, and we need smarter solutions when it
comes to high-speed transmissions.
Atheros Introduces Two New 802.11n Router Solutions, Bringing High-End Performance and Energy Efficiency to Mainstream Wi-Fi Products
Highly-Integrated XSPAN and Align Chips Provide Flexible and Cost-Effective Foundation for a Wide Array of Wireless Routers, Residential Gateways and Consumer Electronics
SAN JOSE, Calif. – January 4, 2011 — Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced two highly-integrated 802.11n solutions that bring high-end performance and features to mainstream Wi-Fi® routers and residential gateways. The new Align® AR933x and XSPAN® AR934x system-on-chip (SoC) solutions include all of the major components required to build 1-stream or 2-stream 802.11n routers, respectively. This high level of silicon integration not only enables smaller and more energy-efficient networking products, but also provides manufacturers with a flexible and cost-effective platform for adding advanced wireless connectivity to consumer electronic devices.
* Integration – Atheros’ new solutions leverage advanced process technology and the highest level of chip integration, combining an 802.11n media access controller (MAC), baseband and radio, with a network processor, radio front-end, Ethernet switch, and other components onto a single silicon die. This integration reduces the number of external components required to build Wi-Fi products, enabling smaller and more cost-effective wireless platforms with robust 802.11n performance and advanced features.
* Performance – Atheros’ new solutions deliver superior rate-over-range to enable whole-home wireless coverage and support consumers’ most demanding applications. They offer the highest radio transmit power, thanks to the industry’s best-performing integrated radio front-end, power amplifiers and low-noise amplifiers (LNAs) for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.
* Flexibility – Featuring a powerful on-board network processor, Atheros’ new SoCs provide device manufacturers with complete solutions for wireless access points, routers and residential gateways. The integrated processor can also be used to sustain Wi-Fi capabilities in TVs, printers and other consumer electronics that typically lack the processing power to handle wireless functions.
* Energy-Efficiency – Since most home networking equipment is turned on 24 hours a day, Wi-Fi vendors are also striving to deliver more energy-efficient products. Atheros has optimized the design of its new SoCs to dramatically reduce power consumption. The AR933x and AR934x comply with the stringent EU Code of Conduct Standby Initiative, and employ several power-saving techniques that intelligently manage current consumption during various states of activity.
* The new XSPAN AR934x SoC is a flexible platform for building a variety of high-performance 802.11n products (with single-band and dual-band capabilities). When paired with Atheros’ AR9380/81 3-stream 802.11n solution, it also becomes the industry’s most cost-effective 2-chip solution for simultaneous dual-band 3x3 routers. This combination is ideal for accelerating the adoption of 3-stream 802.11n technology to support video and other bandwidth-hungry media applications in the digital home.
* The AR933x SoC extends Atheros’ popular Align family of 1-stream 802.11n solutions for PCs and mobile devices. Delivering four times faster throughput and greater coverage than legacy 802.11g solutions, the new Align SoC raises the performance bar for entry-level routers and residential gateways. This is especially important in emerging markets, where there is explosive growth in the adoption of basic home networking equipment.
* The Align AR933x and XSPAN AR934x system-on-chip solutions are now sampling to leading networking customers.