The biggest Android ROM update of the week was obviously the Motorola Droid X with its Froyo update
, but there have been a significant number of smaller ROM releases this week.
The devices included were:
AT&T's Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S Variant)
The update takes the phone to version I897UCJH7 (from I897UCJF6). Details, via AT&T, were:
Update Content Details: The firmware update will be a 12MB download. Included in this update is:
Sprint HTC Hero
- Preinstalled software update - QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents.
- Messaging update - Exchange 2003 support will be added, MMS and other messaging enhancements will also be included.
- Voice enhancement - Improved calling experience.
- Media software enhancement.
- GPS performance improvements.
The new version after the update will be 2.31.651.6. Includes fixes for GPS reboot and sluggish dialer issues.
Verizon Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S Variant)
Here's what the changes in ROM i500.DI01 are:
Verizon LG Ally
- Instant notification of Visual Voice Mail in the messaging bar.
- Improved sync between phone and e-mail accounts.
- Prompt notification when switching to airplane mode.
- Faster switching from 3G to 1x RTT.
- Search phone while on a call.
- Improved Exchange password alerts.
- No Service audio alert removed.
The update brings the ROM to VS740ZVB. Changes are:
Sprint HTC Evo 4G
- Enjoy preloaded applications like City ID, Skype, My Verizon, and Corporate Directory.
- Updated Backup Assistant” application.
- Enhanced ability to pair Ally with multiple Bluetooth devices.
- Improved camera performance.
- Overall enhancement for Microsoft Exchange email accounts.
- Improved device detection when syncing Ally to a PC via USB cable.
- Operate the Gallery application with improved speed and efficiency.
- Improved Android operating system security.
- Enhanced battery life.
- Improved application responsiveness when opening from home screen.
The new software version is: 3.29.651.5.
Sprint says it fixes the calendar event edit issue, and multiple Gmail Account sync, as well as the 30 fps cap and GPS reboot issue.
Sprint Samsung Moment
The new software version will be S:M900.8.OS.DI06.
- Fixes the airplane mode issues
- Fixes the Skyfire browser power cycle issue
- Adds a Select All option to Bulk Bluetooth contact push
Anyone remember the old days of PalmOS and Windows Mobile when you had to hook up your device to the PC to upgrade the ROM (and lose everything on the device in the process)? Admittedly, the iPhone still requires you to hook up to a computer, but at least you don't lose all your programs and data.
It's been a heck of a week for updates. Who wants to bet on the next device to get Froyo?