Acer Readies Aspire One 722 Netbook with AMD Inside

Tablets and eBook readers and smartphones, oh my! Is there any room left for netbooks, the forgotten hero of yesteryear? Of course there is, and to prove it, Acer is coming out with a new netbook that wanders off the beaten path in more ways than one.

For starters, you won't find an Intel Atom processor inside Acer's upcoming Aspire One 722. Acer instead turned to AMD's dual-core Ontario C-50 APU clocked at 1GHz per core with integrated Radeon 6250 graphics.

Secondly, the 722 teeters on the edge between a netbook and ultraportable with a somewhat non-standard 11.6-inch display with a 1366x768 resolution. If you've found 10.1-inch netbooks to be slightly too small, this could be the in-between you're looking for.

And finally, the Aspire One 722 earns style points with a decorative lid tapped with a "water drop" design. This was first seen on the Aspire One D257 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and is a neat departure from your run-of-the-mill netbook aesthetic.

Unfortunately, Acer didn't say when the new model will launch or for how much.
Comments
omegadraco 3 years ago

Interesting... I am glad they dropped the Atom processor it is far to under powered for even some applications such as browsing the web when you consider flash games etc.

rapid1 3 years ago

this one looks decent as an ultra portable to. I am glad they dropped the ATOM line up as the AMD line up seems to be better for this kind of unit to me on performance as well as power consumption etc..

CDeeter 3 years ago

All right now we're talking! Now just drop the glossy screen and you've got it made.

Seems like I hear more and more of these 11.6" units coming out. Could be the next standard size for netbooks, which would be good as it would solve one of the main complaints registered against them - lack of a full sized keyboard.

rrplay 3 years ago

yep i find the 10" screens to small and a the 11.6' size looks like the perfect tweener'. Would like to see more with the AMD cpus from others as well with similar screens and will  watch closely  for the HD and Mem capacity as well.

curious to see what the prices will be.& should be competitive

.so far looking pretty good

rapid1 3 years ago

I agree CDeeter the glossy stuff all around in kind of annoying everything sticks to it including fingerprints.

CDeeter 3 years ago

I agree with you, the gloss finishes have to go.

I can manage to keep most of the fingerprints to a minimum on the shell of my Aspire One, but the screen is a different story. That piece of glass attracts everything it seems, and works as a great mirror outside.

Oh and I really like the water drop design on the lid.