$249 iPad Mini Could "Crush" the Competition

The iPad Mini is coming, that much is almost certain. What we don't know is how much it will cost and how well it can compete with the 7-inch Android crowd that consists primarily of the Kindle Fire (Google) and Nexus 7 (Google). In the absence of that information, we're left to speculate on both accounts, which is what one analyst recently did.

How low Apple goes depends on how motivated the company is to "crush the competition," IHS iSuppli analyst Rhoda Alexander told CNet. According to Alexander, Apple could go swing as low as $249 for an entry-level iPad Mini device, and at that price point, the company would make it awfully tough on the competition. On the other side of the pricing spectrum, the iPad Mini could debut for as much as $349, which would probably come with a 4G LTE radio.

iPad Devices

The Kindle Fire, before it sold out, carried a $199 price tag, while the Nexus 7 sells for $199 (16GB) and $249 (32GB). Alexander's analysis must figure that at the same or similar price points, most people would choose Apple/iOS over Android. Looking at market share numbers, that's been true in the 10-inch tablet market, but whether that translates to the 7-inch sector is something we'll have to wait and see.

Apple is expected to announce the iPad Mini later this year, after it unveils the iPhone 5.
Via:  CNet
Comments
anvil_crawler 2 years ago

The Nexus 7 price/configuration information is incorrect. The Nexus 7 sells for $199 (8GB) and $249 (16GB).

3vi1 2 years ago

I detest the 7-inch form factor: Too big for a pocket, too small for serious use. For the life of me I can't understand why people buy them.

BGTogether 2 years ago

3vi1... you are a guy, I assume. The 7 inch is perfect to keep in my purse. larger Tablets are too big & phones are too small for my aging eyes. This one will be perfect!

JDiaz 2 years ago

"Too big for a pocket, too small for serious use."

...Is actually why the 7" form factor is becoming increasingly popular.

It's a compromise between the two extremes but that fits some people's needs!

Google recognizes this and is why they're establishing 7" as a official form factor for Android.

So Android now supports three main usage modes... Phone, 7", and full Tablet.

But like anything else in the market, just because it's available doesn't mean you have to get it!

Availability of choice is good for everyone...

Tom H 2 years ago

I bought a Samsung Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 2 7.0 because I didn't want a 10 inch tablet. It's easy to hold (with the right case) in bed. However, I'm looking forward to 'Fire" !0".

JHandy 2 years ago

Has nothing to do with being a guy. I'm a guy, and I can't wait for the iPad mini. I travel through the airport very frequently. I have an iPod Touch, but it is too small to read with. The current iPad is too big to carry around through the airport. The iPad mini will be the perfect size.

The iPad mini blows away the iPad as far as portability. Just like a paperback book is a better size for portability than a hardback book. People that don't get why the smaller form factor will be popular aren't capable of thinking outside of their own needs. Fortunately Apple has smart people that do (as well as other companies).

MCook 2 years ago

I am so angry with Apple over their STUPID and SILLY patent witch hunt, I hope they and this tablet get the karma they have coming to them.

MCook 2 years ago

Sadly, I bet the iSheep buy it in droves.

ricofrost 2 years ago

well if the surface RT is really selling for $199 I don't see this crushing anything... but then again there are lots of sheep out there so who knows.

Travelluna 2 years ago

I would buy it for traveling looking up metro lines, hostels, things or travelling

nicoletoledo 2 years ago

The word is could but it wont, sctually i might be wrong but the "ipad mini" will actually be the ipad 2 just shrunked. Old parts but called a new product.

JOMA 2 years ago
Like most things apple does it'll sell well. I can see people opting for this simply from a pricing perspective.
RTietjens 2 years ago

And Ford *could* crush Toyota. But I think we all know it won't happen. Apple fanboys will continue to buy Apple, and people with at least some critical thinking skills will not.

realneil 2 years ago

Like to see all Tablets with a SD Memory Card slot in them.

This isn't gonna be an option with Apple though.

It's a shame,.........

FloydF 2 years ago

It will be interesting to see what the hardware is when it is released. If the hardware is better it iwll sell and we will shortly have a nice Android 4.1 rom to replace the garbage apple is pushing. If it is just an i-kindle fire, it will be just another apple cult fashion accessory.

realneil 2 years ago

[quote user="FloydF"]Apple could make i-christmas ornaments out of dog crap, with the apple logo, sell them for $100 each and they would sell 10 million the first day. They would be hanging from rearview mirrors everywhere...[/quote]

Ha-Ha!