Texas Instruments Reveals New Breakthrough, Aims For Universal Charging Solution
This is all very component-y when it comes down to it, but the potential here for consumer applications is huge. Power drain is a major, major factor. Battery life remains one of the key statistics that people look at when selecting mobile devices. Smarter charging is also huge; the idea here is to create new chargers that are more universal in nature, able to charge more things and prevent old ones from cluttering landfills. Hard to say how close TI is to bringing this all to market, but the specifics can be dug into below.
Making smartphone and tablet charging universal
Today's mobile users are frustrated with phone and tablet 5-W and 10-W chargers that only support one brand-name device. Consumers often need a new charger when they purchase a new mobile device, adding to the number of adapters in a home – and ultimately adding to landfills. TI's TPS2511 intelligent USB charge controller meets the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification, and provides additional charge algorithms to the system. It combines a current-limit USB power switch and a USB dedicated charging port identification circuit to automatically detect USB 2.0 and 3.0 data line voltages and provide the correct electrical signature to safely charge compliant devices. For more information, free samples and evaluation modules visit: www.ti.com/tps2511-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TPS2511:
· Meets regulatory requirements set forth by USB Battery Charging 1.2, as well as the Chinese Telecom Specification YD/T 1591-2009.
· Supports many popular smartphones or 5-V tablets using universal charging capability.
Speed time-to-market with adapter charging reference designs
In addition to evaluation modules, TI introduced several new reference designs for download that include the TPS2511, UCC28700 and other TI power management circuits. Designers can access the following reference designs by clicking on the links:
· Universal AC input, 5-V, 2.1-A smart USB charger cube (TPS2511, UCC28700)
· Universal car charger for USB devices (TPS2511, TSP54250)
· Dual-port USB universal car charger (TPS2511, TPS40170)
Availability and pricing
The UCC28700 flyback controller is available in a 6-pin, 3-mm x 3-mm SOT-23 package, and is priced at $0.35 in quantities of 1,000. TI's new TPS2511 universal charger controller comes in an 8-pin, 3-mm x 5-mm MSOP package, and is priced at $0.90 in quantities of 1,000. Evaluation modules are available for the UCC28700EVM-068 and the TPS2511EVM-141.
Find out more about TI's adapter and USB charging portfolio:
· Check out TI's extensive line of battery charger circuits for USB charging.
· Review TI's power supply control portfolio for AC adapter power supplies.
· Select USB power switch products, including the TPS2511.
· Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.