Trouble installing W7 to an SSD

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:51 PM

Okay so this is a little bit of an emergency, a friend of mine in my squadron who lives in the same dorm tower of mine is putting together his first build and is having trouble installing Windows 7 to his SSD.
It's not a computer startup issue since everything starts and gets up and running but in installation process it freezes towards the end. This results in him having to restart the process, reformat the hard drive and re attempt the install.

The reason it's an emergency is because he's contemplating going to Best Buy for help from Geek Squad where he will most likely sell his Kidney to have his computer "diagnosed" and then not have his problem solved at all and he'll just be one kidney short.

He's running everything in a sort of minimalistic configuration with 1 stick of RAM on the motherboard from the integrated graphics off the Mobo's Ivy-Bridge cpu.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions to how to fix this?
Is it maybe something in his BIOS settings for hard drives, the way the hard drive is connected to the motherboard or is it possibly something wrong with the disk drive and/or physical W7 install CD?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

That's an easy one.  Head over to digital river and find the .ISO for windows 7 home /premium/ultimate, whatever it may be.  Burn a new install disc and see what happens. 

OR, install another OS (don't activate it if you don't have a license) toss the windows 7 .iso file onto a thumb drive, download powerISO, or something similar, mount the ISO and run the installer from windows.  As long as your installing a 32 bit OS on a 32 bit OS or a 64 bit on a 64 bit, you're good.

I'm sure you could probably make a bootable USB stick as well, i've just never tried that.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:50 AM

Why would those solutions make the install successful?
I feel like that would only work if it was indeed the media disc that was faulty or is that what you suspect the problem to be? 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:46 PM

Yeah, it sounds like the media.  If it isn't the media it's most likely a heat issue.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 2:19 PM

Make sure the SATA port the SSD is plugged into is configured in the BIOS as IDE/AHCI.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:23 AM

I don't think it was a heat issue in Hardware since the computer would boot up and run outside of installation mode for extended periods of time.
All the fans were spinning as well so it wasn't like the processor was overheating and causing freezes or shutdowns.

And the BIOS was set for that, I'm not sure where it was going wrong.

Just for an update though, he ended up taking his hard drive out of his laptop, plugging in the SSD and running Windows 7 on the laptop and it installed seamlessly.

Just for a future suggestion to anyone else experiencing this problem, that could help.
Another thing he was about to pursue for that was possibly using a SATA to USB cable to try and install W7 to the SSD from another computer.

Anyone have any ideas what it could've been since it clearly wasn't the SSD or physical Media preventing the install?
Also the computer hasn't been changed and runs smoothly and boots the OS off the SSD, just for whatever reason it couldn't complete the installation too it. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,081
Points 38,055
acarzt replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:13 AM

It was probably hanging up and crashing on a driver

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 12:42 AM

How is that possible?

It was crashing during the installation process so no third party drivers specific to the hardware was being installed or do you mean on a generic windows driver? 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 10,970
CDeeter replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 7:48 PM

Has he had anymore problems installing from the optical drive?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 8 2012 1:38 AM

I thought that might've been it too but it wasn't.
Now that he has his machine up and running the optical drive as used to isntall mobo and gpu drivers with no problems so the drive is obviously working correctly 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS