Windows Explorer in Windows 8 to Come Wrapped in Ribbons

Before we go any further, we feel compelled to remind everyone not to shoot the messenger. Savvy? Great, now onto the news. Alex Simons, Director of Program Management for Microsoft, announced in a blog post that Windows 8 would adopt the Ribbon interface for Windows Explorer. Whoa there Johnny, put down the pitchfork.

The blog post runs through the changes made to Windows Explorer through the years, starting with the MS-DOS Executive in Windows 1.0. In Windows 8, Microsoft hopes the Ribbon interface will accomplish three target goals, including:
  1. Optimize Explorer for file management tasks and expose hidden file management commands already in Explorer that you might now know about.
  2. Create a streamlined command experience that puts the most used commands in the most prominent parts of the UI.
  3. Respect Explorer's heritage by bringing back the most relevant and requested features from the Windows XP era.
As it applies to Windows Explorer in Windows 8, the Home tab will focus on core file management tasks, such as Copy, Paste, Delete, Rename, Cut, and Properties. You'll also find a pair of heritage features, Move to and Copy to, and a "hidden gem," Copy path, which comes in handy when pasting a file path into a file dialog or emailing someone a link to a file on a server.

Another motivating factor for introducing the Ribbon interface is that according to Microsoft's data gathering, the top 10 commands represent 81.8 percent of Explorer command use, and there are over 200 commands in Explorer.

Are you stoked about Microsoft implementing the Ribbon interface in Windows 8, or is this a major turnoff?
Via:  Microsoft
Comments
Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

The decision doesn't really bother me, I use the ribbon in office so I'm used to the idea already. But this is going to make things difficult on smaller screens; I hope they have an option to shrink or hide the ribbon.

RTietjens 3 years ago

Gunner! Missile! Messenger! Driver, up! Fire! Driver, Back!

The Ribbon: The interface for people who think the iPod Shuffle is too complex (and who don't give a rat's ass if the computer can't do anything but play MP3s).

CDeeter 3 years ago

Personally I like the ribbon interface. I find it easier to use than drilling down to find what I want.

Drake: there is an option to do just that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoRlMIx1vwM&feature=player_embedded

Inspector 3 years ago

Hum idk if i would like it too much. I don't hate it, it works great but i'll just have to get use to it :)

jonation 3 years ago

Great if the user has an issue with the tool. Simple works for simple tasks.

But nearly all of this is already available in the right click/ shift+right click menu box. Which is much more efficient use of tools/space. I cringe at large UI designs. They tend to get in the way of actual function.

AKwyn 3 years ago

Hmmm... I haven't used the Ribbon interface much so if I do decide to upgrade to Windows 8 this is going to take some getting used to.

Other than that, I'm stoked. The ribbon interface is good at what it does and well, using it in WordPad; it certainly makes things easier.

rrplay 3 years ago

pretty  much of a right click and bang done ! even if I have tweak the registry no problem . Sure the ribbon can be quite convenient in the office apps and a lot folks like it . As long as it is not to 'cutsey' to get in the way.or 'bloaty'

Yes Yes for  the most appropriate 'baby" pic & "don't shoot the messenger"  segue to go along with the title of the article and thread post  Yes Yes

JStewart 3 years ago

I'm forever looking for a menu bar these days.

I feel old.