Kingston SSD Gets Smashed With Baseball Bat, Lives To Tell About It

When dealing with solid state drives, we hear the words "durable" and "reliable" with an insane amount of frequency. Naturally, those two words are two of the biggest selling points when it comes to convincing someone that an SSD is what they should purchase over an HDD, and while we all that speed is the real reason you opt for one, Kingston's latest demonstration really does a great job at showing how accurate those first two claims are (at least on Kingston units, anyway).

The video shows a quick baseball match being played, but instead of using a ball and bat, the players use an SSD and bat. "Here comes the pitch...the swing, and the crack of the bat sends it flying!" You can almost smell the freshly cut grass and the commentator now, and while we're aware that some company videos such as this are nothing more than fluff, there's no doubt that Mr. Slugger crushed the drive. It was even picked up from a puddle, and it was so deformed that it couldn't fit within the drive cage of a test laptop. They utilized an external connection cable in order to hook it up, and to our amazement, the notebook booted right into Windows 7 without breaking a sweat.

We wouldn't recommend taking a bat to your SSD, but if it's a Kingston, you may be able to and get away with it.

Via:  YouTube
Comments
bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

Oh wow. Even landed in a puddle.Surprise

recoveringknowitall 4 years ago

Nice hit.

shanewu 4 years ago

Heh, I love it...it's hard to watch from a geek standpoint but it's funny and impressive nonetheless.

3vi1 4 years ago

I think this video is misleading. The chips containing the windows boot code were not shattered, but a full checkdisk/fsck probably would have revealed massive damage to some portion of the drive.

They didn't even show it boot all the way to the desktop, which makes me think it didn't get that far before running into unreadable sectors.

mentaldisorder 4 years ago

I was thinking the same as 3vi1. Seeing as how there are multiple chips and not just one.

recoveringknowitall 4 years ago

mentaldisorder 4 years ago

[quote user="recoveringknowitall"]

Tough call, depends on what a hard disk drives exterior is made of, I think its a steel alloy, but I'm not sure.  For the most part, I'd say if the hard drive was hit on its thicker metal exterior  then it would probably be fine.  The top however, would most definitely bend, and the bottom would probably loose some circuitry.  But, there is still the chance for the aluminum alloy disks inside to get scratched and thus corrupted.

3vi1 4 years ago

>> You guys are probably right, but would a mechanical hdd fare even that well after getting belted like that?

Probably not (in the case of the average drive), but I think the SSD would likely be not much more dependable when it comes to getting access to specific data after such an incident. The hit could have just as well fractured a more important interface/power component, leaving the drive unbootable.

I think we can all agree: If you're trying to recover data from a drive that's been through something like this, it's a sign that you don't have the proper backup/recovery procedures in place.

mhenriday 4 years ago

The drive should have been tested to see if it would boot Ubuntu after being smacked, if we're talking about utility....

Henri

acarzt 4 years ago

I'm gonna go do this to my vertex drives to see how well they fair.

NOT!!

:-D

rapid1 4 years ago

Yeah I see this as a wow look what our equipment can do. For one thing it is basically unrealistic, but I see the point. Either way I imagine a regular HD like a WD Black or green or blue and or any other major manufacturers sata HD in standard form would have about the same probability of still at least being recoverable after sever physical abuse (and or an accident).

gibbersome 4 years ago

Haha, they need to do a Blendtec bit on it!

Also, damage from baseball bat might not be considered normal wear and tear and might void the warranty...

acarzt 4 years ago

i've intentionally broken a few 2.5" hdds lol It's kinda hit an miss on the results tho.

One I power up and let it ramp up the spindle and I squeezed it. Made a nice scraping sounds and a click and that was the end of it lol

Tried that with an other drive, and it survived. Slammed it around a bit while it was reading and writing. Still Survived. Tried squeezing it again and it finally died lol

ClemSnide 4 years ago

(1) How many takes did they do to get the desired result?

(2) Who would consider this a significant selling point? Departments of Motor Vehicles? I would suppose if anyone would have people rampage about with baseball bats, it would be them.

gibbersome 4 years ago

To answer your second question, maybe MLB players and fans or other baseball hooligans. Also monkeys.

larryjensen13 4 years ago

Interesting the lack of damage the bat did. I actually tried the same exact thing smashing it with baseball cleats and still couldn't damage it. I figured that a bat would do the job but wow. Cool stuff.