Duke Nukem Forever Gone Forever?

Duke Nukem Forever, the epitome of vaporware, seems to now be gone forever. On the other hand, it's not as though any of us were holding our breath for it.

In multiple reports, 3D Realms, the Texas-based developer of past Duke Nukem games, is said to have shut down.

Take-Two (planned publisher of the game) VP, of communications Alan Lewis said in a statement:
"We can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title. In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever."
That makes it sounds as though while 3D Realms may be finished, Duke Nukem Forever may not (though anyone who remembers the tepid response to Daikatana, another poster-child for vaporware, would probably expect a similar response to DNF if it ever shipped).

Anyway, here's a response from 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler which seemingly puts a cap on this. This appears to be sudden news, even for him, as he did an interview just yesterday.
"When I recorded that, I didn't know. It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."
Via:  3DRealms
Comments
Dave_HH 5 years ago

Time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum. Yeah... riiiight!

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

But who is going to win the vaporware awards now?

Super Dave 5 years ago

Funny story: Years ago my buddy Steve told me about a video game he played...I think he said it was Duke Nukem. As Steve explained it to me, in the game the character would hand someone the money and say "Dance, Baby" and the chicks would start dancing. If you could shoot all of the bad guys the chick's tops would drop! Anyway, Steve's young son Kevin had a Birthday party and got some money in one of the Birthday cards. Kevin took the money to Mom and said "Dance, Baby"! My poor buddy Steve got his butt kicked for letting Kevin play that game!

Kiristo 5 years ago

Eh, probably better this way. Our memories of Duke Nukem 3D won't be tarnished by Duke Nukem Forever, which would never have lived up to the hype.

digitaldd 5 years ago

new gameplay footage?

Makes you think now don't it?

Crisis Causer 5 years ago

Ahahaha, it will never come out!

Though it may yet come out before StarCraft 2.  Beta now please.