55,000 Twitter Accounts Hacked, You Should Probably Change Your Password

Tens of thousands of Twitter accounts have been compromised in a recent hack attack in which more than 55,000 passwords were leaked and posted to Pastebin by anonymous hackers. Most of the accounts supposedly belonged to spammers, and there were many duplicate entries, Twitter officials pointed out, but to play it safe, you should probably change your Twitter password today.

"The list of alleged accounts & passwords consists of more than 20,000 duplicates. Also suspended spam accounts & incorrect login credentials," Twitter stated in a tweet.

Image Source: Flickr (Rosaura Ochoa)

In a follow-up tweet, Twitter said it's "looking into the situation and have pushed out password resets to potentially affected accounts," which would indicate that at least some of them belong to legitimate users with valid login credentials.

MSNBC pinged Twitter for more information and and received back essentially the same information, though Twitter did add that "For those who are concerned that their account may have been compromised, we suggest resetting your passwords." We'll take it one step further and say that if you're using the same password for multiple accounts -- Twitter and Gmail, for example -- change those up as well, and preferably start using different login credentials.
Via:  MSNBC
Comments
realneil 2 years ago

OH NO!!

I forgot to get a twitter account in the first place!

Now I'll never know if I ~would~ have been hacked or not,..........Crying

NBurke 2 years ago

really? isn't this like the second time its been hacked this year :(

digitaldd 2 years ago

I think probably one of the 3rd party utilities that use the Twitter API are doing something insecure. Go here and look at the pastebin links to the list of comprimised accounts most actually have pretty decent passwords which leads me to believe that a 3rd party database may be where the issue lies.

omegadraco 2 years ago

If they know what the potentially effected accounts are then that is the first step. Hmm... I would like to know what is going on with all the Yahoo! accounts getting hacked that we have heard nothing about.

rapid1 2 years ago

Rofl; I have never paid Twitter very much attention at all, yes I have an account, all I have ever done with it is post links, and that is generally at best 1 time every 2 or 3 weeks most likely every month or so or less lol. I really don't get the point of it really I think some people follow and reply to every stupid statement some celebrity makes on it. I basically use it to enter contests when they say to do so and thats all.

rapid1 2 years ago

Oh and it is not on my Sensation either in fact I uninstalled Facebook and Twitter in all forms from my Sensation.

neon_bowser 2 years ago

Good thing my Twitter is hooked up to my useless email that has no connections to anything else really