Verizon's Tiered Data Plans Set to Land July 7

We knew it was coming, and it appears it's nearly here: Verizon's tiered data plans, meaning the end of unlimited data. Verizon is set to join AT&T with tiered smartphone data plans, on July 7 according to the report.

Pricing will be as follows:
  • 2GB – $30/month
  • 5GB – $50/month
  • 10GB – $80/month
If you want to use tethering on your device, it will cost you $20 per month for a 2GB (separate) data bucket. Overage fees are $10 for each GB of data over the limit.

Tablet data plans are already not unlimited, but the report says the $20 1GB plan will be replaced by a $30 2GB plan.

However, Verizon will allow already existing customers to keep their current plans. The pricing applies across 4G and 3G plans, but in addition, it sounds like those who are currently on 3G unlimited plans will be able to apply that to an upgraded LTE phone down the line, although it's not 100 percent certain as yet.

One thing to notice is that the base 2GB tier is $5 more than comparable AT&T pricing. That's likely to be the most popular tier, but Verizon will (possibly) justify the extra $5 based on its more reliable network, and LTE.

With this move, only Sprint will have continue to have truly unlimited data. While T-Mobile advertises unlimited data, once a user reaches a 5GB cap, data bandwidth is throttled.
Via:  Droid-Life
Tags:  ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon
Comments
Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

I was reading this yesterday, such a joke. It's becoming really hard to stay with big red........

LBowen 3 years ago

Hopefully Sprint does not jump on the bandwagon anytime soon. I like my unlimited data :)

omegadraco 3 years ago

I agree though if you don't renew your contract or upgrade your phone they you are grandfathered into the plan typically. Why are we moving backwards to capped wireless and capped internet again... I just don't understand it data does not cost that much to transport.

jonation 3 years ago

if they are smart, they wont.

jonation 3 years ago

haha wow, cell phone companies are gonna start pushing people back to landlines...

its bad for business but good for temporary money. it amazes me how short-sighted big businesses are now, unless they are confident that through lobbying they can hold monopolistic control- or at the least get together and price fix.

fefzero 3 years ago

I had been really thinking about getting a smartphone (I don't really need one, but it would be nice to have), especially with rumors of family data plans, etc. Now I'm thinking I'd rather save the money.

AKwyn 3 years ago

Same here. The phones from all of the carriers do look tempting but I don't know if I want to pay $50 a month; especially since the added price is the data plan.

I am however looking for a pay-as-you-go smartphone like the ones Boost Mobile has.

pwrntspd 3 years ago

Thank goodness my phone only makes calls...Eh, i dont need 3G anyway. If i could get a decent smart phone without 3G i would, because honestly i dont need or even want internet everywhere.

animatortom 3 years ago

Stop using them! If you tell ten friends, and I tell ten friends, and he tells ten friends....and so on,...and so on,.....and so on!

Ancient Chinese secret:P