Sony Says 'Sayonara' to the PSP Go, Will You Miss It?

Sony this week announced that it's putting to rest its PSP Go handheld game console and will no longer produce or ship additional units once inventory runs out. To anyone who follows the portable gaming scene, this shouldn't come as any surprise, unless you're simply shocked it took Sony this long to throw in the white towel. Despite Sony's lofty ambitions, the PSP Go never lived up to its potential.

The PSP Go was released in 2009 and bucked the trend of previous PSP models by ditching a UMD drive in favor of internal flash memory storage. This meant you had to download games from the PlayStation Store, a tradeoff resulting in a slimmer and lighter design.

Unfortunately for Sony, the PSP Go never really sold well, probably due to its high price tag. Sony priced the unit at $250 at launch, and by the time Sony slashed the price to $200 in October 2010, it was too little too late. Here we are six months later and the PSP Go becomes another notch on the console timeline.

Via:  AV Watch
Comments
Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

Is it just my browser messing up or is this image larger than the actual device itself? I didn't ever look into the psp or psp go, I spent my money on a ps3 instead.

inspector 3 years ago

Its not just you drake :)

And i just got to say they made a psp go? :D j/k

herlof 3 years ago

actually in never like it

LBowen 3 years ago

There are games both on the DS and PSP that I find interesting. That being said I feel I can wait until the price is cut even more until I pick one up. The PSP Go was just supposed to be smaller if I am not mistaken and other than that not much difference from the PSP. So not really a must buy where the new 3DS opens the way for 3D portable gaming.

Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

There is always the sony ngp coming out, but I'm sure it will be a pretty penny for what it is packing. It's not 3D but will smoke the pants off the current psp and 3ds. I bet you could get a great deal on a psp go a month before the npg is set to be released "this holiday season".

@Inspector, that joke was so bad it was good! haha, good stuff.

Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

Engadget claims this is a false story, that it is discontinued in Japan and Europe but still going to be produced and sold for the US.

pjnissim 3 years ago

it's hard to miss a product you forgot existed.

recoveringknowitall 3 years ago

What is this PSP go thingy?

Atticus14 3 years ago

it was sleek but in all honesty I would rather have the bigger screen and more room for the hands, I had a psp fatty but i sold it right before psp 2k(?) came out, I'm glad i sold it, but i've always kinda wanted one again since the library is a lot better now.

Hopefully the NGP will be more successful initially but with the way handhelds go im not sure i can buy the first one that comes out - it always sounds good till I put it in perspective.... awesome new gadget for 250-300 dollars? sweet...then I remember what 250-300 dollars can buy for my PC (hint: a very nice videocard).

joel h 3 years ago

rrplay 3 years ago

Nope

everdark44 3 years ago

didn't even know the psp go existed...

omegadraco 3 years ago

Also one of those that did not even know about the PSP go but I am not a big console person or Sony person for that matter. @Drake it would not surprise me if they continued to sell old technology to the U.S. just look at the type of cell devices they have in Japan versus what we have here.

AKwyn 3 years ago

I'm guessing the reason the PSPGo failed to catch on was because it wasn't what people were looking for when they heard PSP. They wanted a fully featured gaming system, not a smaller system with some features stripped out.

It makes sense they're phasing it out in Japan where the NGP will come out first, best to introduce your new stuff to a mass audience that is generally crazy about these things. If I lived in Japan then I'd probably have my house filled with electronics.

lifeskills 3 years ago

needed dual thumbsticks, like all other psp products.

AKwyn 3 years ago

[quote user="lifeskills"]

needed dual thumbsticks, like all other psp products.

The PSP had one thumbstick as well, and it sold relatively well. And that was released in 2005.

rapid1 3 years ago

Never used it most likely never will especially with this news.

rapid1 3 years ago

I can find nothing concerning SONY to post this one on! If you have a play station or any other SONY account watch your credit cards.

Playstation Network and billing system has been down for six days, company just now decide to let users know the worst

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC has just announced some very bad news for Playstation Network (PSN) users (accessible via the PlayStation 3 and PSP) who have made purchases -- they have had their personal info and possibly credit card numbers stolen.

Writes Sony:

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.