Shaq Uses New Service Tout to Announce Retirement

It's become commonplace for celebrities and companies to make announcements via Twitter. Thus, should we really be surprised that Shaquille O'Neal announced his retirement via Twitter (and also, via a new service called Tout)?

Although Twitter hosted the Tweet, it was Tout that hosted the video (below). The Tweet drove 500K users to six-week old Tout in the space of three hours. [Tout can be thought of as a sort of video Twitter.]

Apparently, Shaq is a fan of Tout. He contacted the service ahead of time, telling them he wanted to use Tout to announce his retirement. Tout CEO Michael Downing said that
“Shaq’s got a lot of different things going on, but he’s told us that this is his personal media network and he’s going to be using us to promote everything else he’s doing.”
O'Neal has also agreed to join the startup’s advisory board.

This is definitely good news for Tout, if folks follow him from Twitter and Facebook. O'Neal has about 3.8 million Twitter followers and 2 million Facebook fans.

Since its launch, Tout has lengthened the amount of time users have for a video clip from 11 seconds to 15 seconds, hardly YouTube length, but if you compare it to 140 characters for Twitter, it sort of fits. Tout also strengthened its servers in expectation of a huge rush of fans viewing Shaq's retirement video.

That video can be viewed below.

Via:  All Things D
Tags:  Twitter, Tweet, Tout
Comments
LBowen 3 years ago

Shaq had a very good career and I hope he enjoys his retirement.

It wasn't too long ago that I met him while working at the movie theater.  I was checking tickets at the theater entrance and saw something moving out of the corner of my eye; I thought to myself that can't be human and turned to face Shaq walking up to watch Gran Torino.  "What's up, Lamar?", he said as he offered his hand for a shake.  Guy is super tall and it was pretty surreal at the time.

jimmyjamesros 3 years ago

Sounds like he has a great attitude everywhere he goes. I used to do high end kitchen & bath design in Colorado and I have worked with many famous people, most of them are not nice people. People who stay humble and keep a good positive attitude garner my respect. On a side note James Earl Jones was the worst that I have ever talked to, not a nice or happy bone in his body.

AKwyn 3 years ago

Well Shaq has done a lot of things; play basketball, release 3 rap albums, acted in films, became a sherif... His retirement is well deserved.

I just hope he does something with his retirement, Shaq has really been a legendary figure to both the Lakers and to the whole entire world.

omegadoom13 3 years ago

This definitely news to me! First time hearing about Shaq's retirement. Shaq has done great things for the NBA. It's sad that he's leaving the game but I don't think this will be last time we'll hear about Shaq. Perhaps he'll restart his movie career... or continue with his music career... or become the sheriff of a small town.. or do his own reality show... so many options for him. Good bit of news! Thanks Michael!

inspector 3 years ago

lol how much servers is required to load a 15second video to millions of viewers? :P

Enjoy the rest of your years with fun filled adventures! :D

ThunderBird 3 years ago

Greatest big man to ever play the game imo.

In his prime noone could touch the raw power he showcased... We may never see another.

animatortom 3 years ago

I thought Shaq faded into non-existence a long time ago? No wait that was just his acting career! :P

No really, he's a pretty cool guy, especially all the work he does with kids!

Kinda find it hard to belive he was the first to do this on Twitter? I am sure just the first high profile player.