Here's a NUDge: National Unfriend Day

Have you ever been approached by some higher-up at work to be their "Friend" on Facebook? If so, you might have accepted their Friend request out of respect / fear. Jimmy Kimmel has called for a National Unfriend Day (NUD) to get rid of these faux friends.

Jimmy Kimmel used the Wednesday’s episode of his "Jimmy Kimmel Live" show to declare November 17, 2010 National UnFriend Day. He hopes the new "holiday" will unite Facebook users in a move to unfriend those social networking contacts they have that aren’t real friends.

Naturally this could extend to any other social networking service, as well. Here's what his site says:
Jimmy Kimmel has declared a new holiday on November 17th - National UnFriend Day. NUD is the international day when all Facebook users shall protect the sacred nature of friendship by cutting out any ‘friend fat’ on their pages occupied by people who are not truly their friends. Get ready to unfriend!

Here are some simple guidelines:
  • If you wouldn’t loan someone 50 dollars, unfriend them.
  • If you wouldn’t invite them to your birthday party, unfriend them.
  • If you wouldn’t cry if they got hit by a bus, unfriend them.
It doesn’t have to be a hostile thing. They might not like you much either. And the day to do it is November 17th.
We'd actually disagree with guideline 1) above: lending. One hard-and-fast rule we stick by is to never lend a friend money. More from Kimmel, on how to determine if your Facebook friends are real friends:
Here’s how you can tell who on facebook is really your friend:

On Friday, post a status update that says “I’m moving this weekend and need help.” The people that respond — those are your friends.

Everyone else isn’t.
Watch a pair of videos from Jimmy Kimmel's show on NUD, including both Dr. Mehmet Oz, on how it will make you healthier, and William Shatner.

Via:  Jimmy Kimmel
Tags:  Facebook, MySpace
Comments
digitaldd 4 years ago

I'm waiting for the creation of the Anti-social network. Big Smile

realneil 4 years ago

I've UN-Friended all of FaceBook and I already feel better because of it,............................Big Smile

Der Meister 4 years ago

most of the people I have I didnt know at one point in time. Or had meet at some time. But there are a few randoms. Not that I really care. Its not like I have my entire life on FB.

inspector 4 years ago

I got to pass on this one :D lol. Nothing wrong with facebook for me so :P

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="Inspector"]I got to pass on this one :D lol. Nothing wrong with facebook for me so :P[/quote]

I joined for that HH contest a while back and had over 100 friend requests in four days. People I hadn't spoken to in years wanted to suddenly communicate again. Yet all of them had my email addy all of this time and never wrote an email.

Some of them work with my wife and somehow either recognized our last name, or had some sort of search up and running to notify them that I, or someone with the same last name as me, had joined. I don't even know them, but they wanted to know all about me suddenly. (shudders)

My page was inundated with little cutesy things, flowers, drinks, whatnot's, that people sent me, all wanting me to participate with them. (building farms?-WTF!)

When I did devote some time to it, it suddenly grew to be much busier!

All in all, FaceBook was like a really needy Beeyach to me so I dumper her.

Kyouya 4 years ago

Amen, Jimmy Kimmel. It is about time someone took a stand against Facebook. He is bringing back the true meaning of friendship.

realneil 4 years ago

You're right,....he is. It's needed too.

JKazzie 4 years ago

Kimmel’s got a point. Check out this funny You Tube video (http://bit.ly/baJL1w) about a guy who’s fed up with Facebook. It was written by the same guy that wrote the viral YouTube video “So You Want to Go to Law School.”