HP Ships USB 3.0 Laptop

With the announcement that certain configurations of its Envy 15 laptops will come with the new USB 3.0 spec, HP is now one of the first computer companies to offer the fast new technology on its machines.

Although USB 3.0 has been talked about for quite some time, it hasn't been a reality for that long. As you may recall, USB 3.0 promises speeds that are more than ten times as fast as USB 2.0. To put this another way, USB 3.0 offers speeds up to 5Gbps, compared to USB 2.0’s 480Mbps. With these types of speed increases, transferring files (especially large video files) will be completed much more quickly—1GB of data can be transferred in 3.3 seconds, compared to at least 33 seconds with USB 2.0.

Last week at CES, there were a number of devices announced that promised USB 3.0, including offerings from companies such as ASUS, Fujitsu, and Western Digital. Storage manufacturers seem especially on-board with USB 3.0: LaCie, Super Talent, Seagate, and many others have already announced USB 3.0 products.

Although numerous USB 3.0 products have been announced, HP is actually the first company to get a USB 3.0 computer to market, shipping USB 3.0 on Envy 15 laptops that are configured with ATI 5380 graphics and a quad-core Intel Core i7 processor. HP plans to offer additional models such as the business-geared EliteBook with USB 3.0 in the coming weeks.

Via:  Yahoo
Comments
gibbersome 4 years ago

5380 graphics...typo? Should be 5830.

Previous generations shipped with 4830 graphics.

I'm glad laptops have started shipping out with USB 3.0. Hopefully the tech will be standard sometime later this year. It was getting frustrating backing up my data onto external HDD using USB 2.0.

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

[quote user="gibbersome"]I'm glad laptops have started shipping out with USB 3.0. Hopefully the tech will be standard sometime later this year. [/quote]

Yeah the sooner every PC ships with 3.0 the sooner the market will start to fill with 3.0 devices and the sooner I can get over not getting  those eSATA thumb drives I wanted so badly.

rapid1 4 years ago

Yeah I was thinking about the USB thing today specifically based on a laptop. If you ran a laptop with a sub 60-100 gig SSD OS program drive, and had USB 3.0 ports with and external it would really change the default of computers at least it would seem so to a point. With a setup like that it would enhance the performance especially with a switchable GPU and onboard GPU especially from a power profile length of use platform. You could have as much with you as you wanted and at any given time just plug it into a USB 3 port, which from what I understand runs very close to a sata 3 port in throughput anyways.

gibbersome 4 years ago

I guess the other important question is if all USB 3.0's will be backwards compatible to USB 2.0.

rapid1 4 years ago

Yes gibbersome from what I understand the IEEE certification requires it to be backwards compatible by default. This is as a course of action the general reason for certification from what I know anyway.

rapid1 4 years ago

I think USB3 just like USB2 is going to be a major impact on the market. The speeds for an interconnect are just incredible as is sata3, but sata3 is specialized where this one is very general and will work with everything eventually.

mhenriday 4 years ago

Agree with rapid1 ; this technological upgrade, while nothing world-shaking from a theoretical point of view, is likely to have immense practical consequences. I hope we will shortly see some good but inexpensive USB 3.0 cards which will allow us to upgrade our older machines....

Henri

saelboat 4 years ago

It's easy to read all this stuff about USB 3.0 but until you actually experience it you won't be able to see just how huge an improvement it will be.

Actual comparative footage of USB 3.0 vs 2.0 in action. It's pretty staggering just how powerful and fast it is. Can't wait to get my hands on a 3.0 machine