Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:21:11 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I am still limping buy with the old Intel DG31PR motherboard but it is really starting to suck pondwater as we used to say. I am still very budget conscious so any of the real strong systems are generally out of reach.

PCGamers had a budget build that looks tempting. It uses the MSI Z370-A Pro motherboard, an Intel i3-8100 processor, and 8 gig of ram. The processor is upgrade-able to i7 down the road, ram can go up to 64 gig, but 32 gig being more likely.

So some light gaming, mostly cruising but also some editing work. Mostly audio editing which doesn't seem to be very heavy lifting, but that might turn into some light video editing down the road. I have a pair of 1070ti GPU's left over from the crypto mining foray. And I've heard that some rendering software will take advantage of dual GPU's, often without SLI being necessary.

So I just as well use them, but is there a better board for this than the Z370 Pro at $99.95? I could go up to the $125 range or so. But not much over that. I know the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 is a doggy little CPU these days, so anything is pretty much gonna shine over it, even the Intel i3-8000. And I can upgrade the CPU to i7-xxxx as necessary, which seems like a good option.

Any feedback on the MoBo upgrade will be appreciated.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:54:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: corrected MoBo designator

Turkey bacon is not really bacon. Pork jowl, pork belly, pork something ... slow cured, real smoke, real bacon.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 12:16:10 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Ryzen is priced pretty damn well, maybe take a look at B350 boards or x370 boards. :P
My Info:

Tweet me @ www.twitter.com/BlackHawk8100 OR join Discord to chat! https://discord.gg/PStJBcJ

Offline Tatoosh  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 8:33:04 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

What processor would you recommend in the $125 range for one of those motherboards? I guess Ryzan 3?

The x370 board looks pretty similar to the 370-A pro, does sli, has slots for two GPU's ... so all that is good.

Are there any real pluses to the AMD path compared to the Intel in function or price? Or bang for buck?

I am going to try and move my old system to a new motherboard ... will moving from Intel board to AMD pose real problem compared moving to another Intel based processor?

Edited by user Thursday, November 01, 2018 9:03:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: More Intelligent Questions ... hopefully

Turkey bacon is not really bacon. Pork jowl, pork belly, pork something ... slow cured, real smoke, real bacon.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 2:39:32 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any major issues. Get an AMD processor and AMD board you should be fine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v4f66s

Something like that maybe? I don't know. I am milking your budget a little with that though. Dig around and see what you come up with. Choose the blue or red team, either way, it is up to you. :P

PS: What other parts do you have?

Edited by user Thursday, November 01, 2018 2:41:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My Info:

Tweet me @ www.twitter.com/BlackHawk8100 OR join Discord to chat! https://discord.gg/PStJBcJ

Offline Tatoosh  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 10:55:56 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I have a CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC-02, the two GTX 1070ti's, an EVGA platinum 750W PSU. The parts moving over would be the primary SSD and the secondary HDD.

So I will be getting the MoBo, the CPU, and 8 or 16 gig of ram, prolly the cheapest of whatever DDR4 I can find, Crucial is my guess.

One of the things I'm looking at is quiet. So I want something I can put super quiet fans on. When I am recording sound the tower will be in the same room and I don't want it adding noise, if possible. I can use a sound gate to help with that, but better if it isn't there to start with.

While playing around with the mining thing, I got to try EVGA's 1070Ti that came with liquid cooling and liked that. But a bit noisy for this job. Still, sweet job of running cooler than my other cards.

If I get to do any video editing and rendering, I'll probably be looking for software that can use the dual GPU's to carry some of the load. I think Adobe has something out that will do that. But that is future stuff ... maybe. I just want to leave the door open for it.

The B450 board looks interesting and I love the price. But the X370 seems to have some sort of siren call, dunno why. Think I will go ahead and snag the processor you recommended now.

Thank you for sharing your insights. Do appreciate it.

Edited by user Thursday, November 01, 2018 11:02:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spending money ... ack! Can't Help ... myself!

Offline Tatoosh  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:01:04 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Okay, pulled the trigger on both the processor and the X370 motherboard. A bit more than I had originally budgeted, but I think it will all do what I want and leave room for upscaling if necessary down the road a bit. The X370 does SLI, and if the editing/rendering software needs that, I want to have it available. I know SLI is not part of the gaming scene much anymore.

So taking my old mining rig apart and preparing to move the PSU and two GTX 1070Ti (FE style) to the Cosair case will be coming soon. The new MoBo and processor should arrive in 2 to 3 days. So now I'm hunting ram. Probably only 8 gig (2x 4gb) because of my indulgence in the MoBo.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 2:16:30 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Definitely go to the QVL on the mobo's website BTW.
My Info:

Offline Tatoosh  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 6:58:38 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Uhmm, QVL? I tried searching for QVL on the MSI site but came up with nothing.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 10:05:16 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Qualified Vendors List, may be in the mobo manual or on the site. It tells you what memory MSI tested with the boards. Good luck!
My Info:

Offline Tatoosh  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 2:37:32 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I looked around their website and did not find anything for a guide of preferred manufacturer, but upon rereading the specs, I see them talk about supporting DDR4 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 3200(OC)+ MHz but all I see sold at Crucial is:

Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM @ $35.99

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM @ $70.99

So it looks like 2x of DDR4-2400 will be the end of this spending spree. I did find some DDR4-2666 2x 8gb for around $115 or so. Patriot was the maker, but I don't have any experience with them.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 3:01:39 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

What mobo did you buy?
My Info:

Offline Tatoosh  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 6:36:02 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Sorry, did not see your MoBo question before I posted my SLI/HDMI questions. I went with the MSI X370 Gaming Plus. I am hunting at least 8gb of ram for it to get me started. I have not ordered that yet.

And my other questions:

So, if you have the time, lets chat about SLI a bit. Not really worth it in terms of gaming is pretty much what I hear. So should I wait to install the 2nd GTX1070Ti until I need it for rendering? Or would installing it but disabling it on Windows Devices for the time being be okay? Or does it just not make much difference with SLI on or off and just turn on and use it for whatever I am doing?

I want to run multiple monitors, which before I ran from a single GPU. If I do install 2 GPU's and have them both running, do both the monitors still run off the primary GPU?

And lastly, I am tempted to run an HDMI cable to my TV, a Sony Bravia X700D for big screen gaming. (Note, I said gaming, not winning.) The TV is about 8 to 10 feet away from the mid-tower desktop. So that will end up being a 3rd monitor, I guess? So 3 monitors off the primary GPU?

Edited by user Sunday, November 04, 2018 6:40:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Missed Your Question

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:08:50 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

So A) Here you go (https://msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu), click on the button that says Memory Rx-Whatever gen of CPU you got.

B) I think you can use all outputs on both GPUs which I think answers your question. :P

My Info:

Offline Tatoosh  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 2:06:28 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Eek! Whatever generation CPU I got? Ryzen 5 from your link. I looked at the page link you supplied so I am hoping that maybe I have now in my possession a Pinnacle Ridge Ryzen 2600 CPU with provided cooler? Puzzled look as I fumble with the box, no mention of ridges, valleys, lakes, or mountains on it.

What is this RX-2x00 vs RX-2x00G/GE? I found some explanations on the web, but still pretty uncertain of what they mean, which is preferable and where to go ... I am looking at DDR4-2666 and DDR4-3000 but in 4gb sticks.

Thank you very much for swatting the display questions so succinctly! Well done, Blackhawk! And the CPU and motherboard sound pretty zoomy! First new MoBo I've had in over a decade. Sweet! (Well, save the mining motherboard ... for sale cheap ... hah hah hah!)

Found this from Patriot: DDR4-3000

Edited by user Monday, November 05, 2018 4:44:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added Link

Offline Tatoosh  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 8:54:27 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Okay, pulled the trigger on some RAM. Found some 8gb that seems to match the QVL list you provided and since I update computers about once or may be twice a decade, I splurged for the 16 gig 2 x 8gb.