Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jim121  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 10:07:35 AM(UTC)
jim121

Groups: Registered

Im basically building a system with the following

I9 7980 ex processor

asus x299 motherboard

4 x 16gb cosair vengeance ddr4 memory with option of updating to 128gb

12gb nvidia titan xp graphics card

10tb seagate barracuda pro secondary hard drive

what primary ssd would be suitable as a systems drive

what case would be ideal for this set up?

Do i need any additional cooling? and what?

i know computer basics but a newbie at everything

so i would really appreciate all the help and advice anyone can offer please.

this will be an expensive system so want to be comfortable with all the parts and decisions first.

Also if you think i should use something different and why.

Anything else i should add? Was thinking of the titan v but was told it was not worth considering.

my previous computer was very unstable and though fast was noisy and had alot of the blue sceen of death

i appreciate your time and advice

Offline toby5  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:56:04 AM(UTC)
toby5

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think everything really depends on what you are looking to do with the machine. Firstly I would look around and see how hot everything gets from other people's perspective, then based on what you want to do with it decide on an aftermarket cooler, I think they always run better anyways or go with liquid cooling, that is the pants these days. As far as the SSD is concerned, again it all depends on what you want to do with your machine, make sure to get something that you feel will really fit the build. Not sure on the case though, I think most cases today have their strong points and weak points. You didn't say what kind of motherboard, which particular one, but I am guessing ATX so I would say look at the ATX cases to find one suitable for your needs, you want to make sure it gets good cooling as well. Check around and see what people say. Hope that helps a little, if at all. Also your build looks like a beast. grin
Offline jim121  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:50:41 PM(UTC)
jim121

Any advice anyone?

I’m basically looking for an acer Orion 9000 style configuration

Offline ottoyu34  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:27:16 AM(UTC)
ottoyu34

Canada

Originally Posted by: jim121 Go to Quoted Post
Im basically building a system with the following

I9 7980 ex processor

asus x299 motherboard

4 x 16gb cosair vengeance ddr4 memory with option of updating to 128gb

12gb nvidia titan xp graphics card

10tb seagate barracuda pro secondary hard drive

what primary ssd would be suitable as a systems drive

what case would be ideal for this set up?

Do i need any additional cooling? and what?

i know computer basics but a newbie at everything

so i would really appreciate all the help and advice anyone can offer please.

this will be an expensive system so want to be comfortable with all the parts and decisions first.

Also if you think i should use something different and why.

Anything else i should add? Was thinking of the titan v but was told it was not worth considering.

my previous computer was very unstable and though fast was noisy and had alot of the blue sceen of death

i appreciate your time and advice

I think Toby got all of it down. Let us know what the machine is used for, but if you're using going all out and getting the best hardware money can buy, so be it.

CPU coolers I suggest getting something like the Corsair Hydro series AIO liquid coolers, great cooling capacity for overclocking and silence or anything in between. I personally have the H115i

Primany drive without a doubt you will need a SSD, min 240GB depending on your usage. But if you're a content creator I would suggest getting M.2 nVme drives, they are more expensive per GB, but you will benefit from your day to day workflow. On the other hand, Gaming or juse general usage SATA-based SSDs will do.

Personally I still perfer a full-tower case with lotsa of 140mm fans. I suggest checking out Corsair, NZXT or Phantek's offerings for cases.

Offline jim121  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:32:48 PM(UTC)
jim121

The system will be used for different purposes.

Video editing

4K and 8k content.

The 10tb hard drive is because I think I'd probably go through that easily. I have a 2tb hard drive just now and it's already full and use mostly external hard drives.

I know it might be overkill but if I'm investing in a system I'd rather it over perform than I waste £2000 or £3000 for a system barely better than my old one.

I know I can get a decent system for that price. But from my point of view it's just wasting money.

Most of the major system builders were showing off systems at the ces 2018 with liquid cooling. And i9 7980ex processors with 64gb or 128gb ddr4 memory.

I'm basically trying to build a system like or better than them with some modifications.

Hence why I'm asking the experts on here about their opinion or advice.