Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ghettochild2600  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:43:23 PM(UTC)
Ghettochild2600

Groups: Registered

So I'm looking to purchase this motherboardand it says it has a max ram speed of DDR4 3466*(*O.C.). I want to run the fastest ram possible this board will support and was wondering if I were to purchase a 4000MHz kit if I were to underclock it to run at 3466 frequency with tighter timings would it be better performance vs buying a 3400MHz or 3466MHz ram kit? If a motherboard says 3466* O.C. will it easily run a module already rated at that frequency?
Offline digitaldd  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:09:42 AM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
After 2666 it just gets expensive, if you do not plan to overclock I'd say just get as much 2133 as you can afford and put the savings into a better graphics card or larger SSD.
Offline tmanvest  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:12:25 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
for most applications ram speed is meaningless. the exception being when you are at the bare minimums that they actually require(not what they say that they require). it may prove more beneficial to buy slower but cheaper ram and add more of it. i would not recommend kits rated up to 4000 as they will have a higher latency. i would recommend a kit at or under the specified limit with as it will yeild good performance and you may be able to tighten up you latencies. now for my diclaimer i rarely overclock ram due to its relatively low performance gains. make sure the ram recieves good airflow and has heat spreaders. as always good luck and the silicon lotto still applies to ram
Offline Der Meister  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:32:23 PM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmanvest Go to Quoted Post
for most applications ram speed is meaningless. the exception being when you are at the bare minimums that they actually require(not what they say that they require). it may prove more beneficial to buy slower but cheaper ram and add more of it. i would not recommend kits rated up to 4000 as they will have a higher latency. i would recommend a kit at or under the specified limit with as it will yeild good performance and you may be able to tighten up you latencies. now for my diclaimer i rarely overclock ram due to its relatively low performance gains. make sure the ram recieves good airflow and has heat spreaders. as always good luck and the silicon lotto still applies to ram
I agree faster isn't always better, tighter timings is much better then clock speed. Unless you plan on doing some heavy OC'ing on everything
Never trust a computer you cant throw out the window. i7 2700k G1 Sniper 16GB Gskill Ripjaws 128GB SSD GTX670