Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline frank  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2016 4:23:25 PM(UTC)
frank

Groups: Registered

Hi, I been waiting for the Broadwell-E chips to come out, in particular the cheaper 6800K as my budget is in the 1500 range and until now knew the 6-core chip was the way to go for a fair amount of video editing (Adobe Premiere Pro) and a heavy Lightroom/Photoshop/Indesign use. I will not be doing any gaming, and only plan to do a little overclocking as power consumption on heavier OC isn't worth it for me. Just one moderate video card as video editing doesn't require a top end card if doing 1080/4k like gaming would (probably the 1060 when it's released or the older 970 if my patience runs out).

Any video editors out there with the older 6-core 5820k or the 4-core 6700k with real world experience? Most forum members across the internet will pretty much say 6800 without a question for my needs given it's 6-core.

But then this report from Tom's Hardware just came out that flipped the table on how great the 6700k really is within adobe suite with it's core speed vs cores. Any response?

http://www.tomshardware....-6850k-6800k,4587-5.html

The mobo I'm think is the Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI for it's Thunderbolt connector at a reasonable $250 price point and a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler for it's quiet nature over an AIO cooler when on high cooling during encoding.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 08, 2016 4:37:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2016 6:00:11 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
A lot of it has to do with future proofing lol So it'd be up to you lol
Offline Mitchell  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 9:08:14 PM(UTC)
Mitchell

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This looked interesting it kind of shows the quad core chip beating the 6 core chip unless they got something mixed up but it also references graphics cards and GPU acceleration which you dont seem to get a boost in performance unless your encoding 4k video.

https://www.pugetsystems...al-GPU-Acceleration-502/

Offline tmanvest  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:49:37 PM(UTC)
tmanvest

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Things to consider with both the i7 6700k uses skylake cores which have a higher ipc than the i7 6800k which uses one generation old broadwell cores.

That being said the 6800k has more cores, more memory channels, can have more ddr4 memory at higher speeds, and you have a higher number of pcie lanes. there is also an upgrade path so later on if you feel that your hexacore processor is not up to par you can change it but the 6700k doesnt show an upgrade path at the moment though that may change. if you plan on overclocking both you may see a bigger performance gain the the 6800k with the number of cores and threads that it has. if you dont lose the silicon lottery.

the biggest con with the 6800k is that you will have to pay more to enter with it but the long term performance difference and the various choice of processors may help in the long run.

The only reason i could see adobe premiere doing better on the 6700k is that it is a higher clocked quad core and maybe adobe premiere can only efficiently use 4 cores.

So if you have the money i would recommend the 6800k for all of the extra things. That also said you wouldnt be disappointed with the 6700k just remember you would be limited to a quad core.

Offline frank  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:40:50 PM(UTC)
frank

Thanks guys. I went with the 6800K and hope that Adobe starts optimizing their programs in the future (particularly Lightroom) to take advantage of more cores.

tmanvest, you're totally right that broadwell-e processors offers more than just cores (more memory channels, higher pcie lanes, etc), but at the end of the day those specs better translate into a faster workflow for one's needs and I was just surprised at Tom Hardware's findings. I still went with the 6800k as it's still fast enough for the programs I use and for the time sensitive programs like exporting from premiere the 6800k will have the advantage.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:22:43 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frank Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys. I went with the 6800K and hope that Adobe starts optimizing their programs in the future (particularly Lightroom) to take advantage of more cores.

tmanvest, you're totally right that broadwell-e processors offers more than just cores (more memory channels, higher pcie lanes, etc), but at the end of the day those specs better translate into a faster workflow for one's needs and I was just surprised at Tom Hardware's findings. I still went with the 6800k as it's still fast enough for the programs I use and for the time sensitive programs like exporting from premiere the 6800k will have the advantage.

You've gotta make a build log!